Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2009, 09:55 PM

Default Toy RC plane has near miss with Virgin Blue jet

Amazing story, and video is just crazy, these buffoons strapped a video camera to a RC plane and flew it at a VB aircraft at Perth Airport.

Video and story here... http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...t-in-near-miss

Quote:
A Virgin Blue jet had a near miss with a remote controlled plane as it was landing at Perth airport.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has confirmed they are investigating the incident after video footage from a camera attached the model aircraft was given to authorities, thewest.com.au reports.

The offender, who could face up to two years in jail, uploaded the footage to YouTube before taking it down over the weekend.

But outraged aircraft enthusiasts made copies of the clip and handed them to authorities, along with details of the man they believed responsible for the “reckless” incident.

The video shows the model plane, which weighs about 850g and has a wing span of 1m, flying around 30m from the Virgin Blue jet before it plummets to the ground.

The clip features music from the Tom Cruise movie Top Gun and includes dialogue from a scene where Cruise and another character unsuccessfully attempt to shoot down an aircraft.

Aviation experts say if the toy plane was sucked into the jet's engines, it could have caused severe damage and engine failure.

If it had struck the cockpit, the windshield could have cracked.

The incident happened about 11am (AEST) on Friday during a flight from Melbourne.

Virgin Blue was contacted over the incident but an inspection of the aircraft revealed no damage.

It is a federal offence to fly a model aircraft within 5.5km of an airport.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:25 PM

Let's hope they catch this idiot and jail him for the maximum term (which is not long enough in my opinion).

No excuses - a totally stupid and foolhardy act and follows on from several other incidents in Perth of people shining lasers into pilots' eyes and one clown sending out false messages from a transmitter. The latter was caught in the act in a shopping centre carpark but true to form received a very light (non custodial ?) sentence and/or a reprimand.

The latest incident is another good reason why airport operators should "embrace" the real spotting community because many of us do find out of the way places near airports for spotting/photography and on occasions see things that should not be happening.

For instance, about five years ago in Perth when we had access to the old "mound" on the approach to runway 03, several friends and I noticed a 4WD parked behind bushes and the driver obviously did not want his car to be seen.

He was viewing through the fence and when we asked where he came in, he replied through a broken fence near a major road on the other side of the airport. We were angry at his actions as we had walked over 800 metres to this popular viewing spot so we pointed out the stupidity of his actions, as it was a blazing hot January day and his hot exhaust pipe could have ignited the tinder dry undergrowth. This guy wasn't perturbed so we discreetly called the security people and they had a car on the spot within 5 minutes.

Our "friend" didn't get the connection at first but when security warned him and then asked him to leave, he gave us a real verbal spray. But his actions were totally irresponsible.

Had my spotting mates and I not been there, security would have been unaware of the guy's presence and who knows what may have happened.

That is just one incident of several that Perth spotters have witnessed over the years.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:57 PM

Well lets keep our fingers crossed that this time the judicial system decides enough is enough. Lasers is one thing, but flying an object at a commercial airliner is a whole new level of stupid.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:33 AM
Prolific Member

Bob, if I'm reading this right and I'm happy to be corrected as always, are you suggesting airports don't already "embrace" the spotting communities as being that extra set of eyes on for what goes on around the place? The Sydney Airport Message Board Spotting Weekend is a good example of the airport and spotters operating in harmony.

I do agree that the person responsible deserves more than a slap on the wrist. The aircraft used looked pretty distinctive, and learning to fly RC aircraft well takes some practice, so I doubt he was a newby to the hobby. Somebody within the model community would know him and the police spotlight would be firmly on them, so it should only be a matter of time before he's ratted out.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:02 AM

According to the article some aircraft enthusiasts have already advised the police of who they think may be at fault so lets hope an arrest is made sooner rather than later.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:51 AM

Question Don't get it

I must be from the wrong generation. Why do so many people nowadays commit crimes and then post the evidence on a public website for all to see?

Is it the latest form of bravado?
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:31 AM

If by bravado you mean absolute stupidity, then yes.

Look at all these fools on Facebook and the like who film and photograph themselves swimming in the kitchen sink at fast food chains and who take days off work claiming illness and then post on Facebook saying they went out and got all messed up at some bar.

They are the future unfortunately. All we can hope is that they remain in fast food and never make it to a position of authority of power.
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Bob, if I'm reading this right and I'm happy to be corrected as always, are you suggesting airports don't already "embrace" the spotting communities as being that extra set of eyes on for what goes on around the place? The Sydney Airport Message Board Spotting Weekend is a good example of the airport and spotters operating in harmony.

I do agree that the person responsible deserves more than a slap on the wrist. The aircraft used looked pretty distinctive, and learning to fly RC aircraft well takes some practice, so I doubt he was a newby to the hobby. Somebody within the model community would know him and the police spotlight would be firmly on them, so it should only be a matter of time before he's ratted out.

Cheers
I think he was more specifically referring to Perth.
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:41 PM

Members of a Perth spotters group have enjoyed an excellent relationship with the airport authorities for many years and our organization was used as a model for similar spotters groups in other cities.

Myself and others from Perth offered advice to "Shep" when he was making preliminary enquires about getting a better deal (and understanding) for Sydney spotters and similar advice was offered to people in Melbourne and Brisbane when they went about establishing formal groups. I do know that the Brisbane group was quite active for a while but have lost contact with it and I'm unaware of what happened in Melbourne - I'm not talking about "Jetspotters" here but more tangible, formal groups. This was all happening 3-4 years ago.

Adelaide has a formal spotters group which predates the Perth one and both have the benefit of being successful and respected because they operate in smaller cities than Sydney or Melbourne.

I'm no longer a member of any formal group so can't comment on the current situation.

And my reference to "embracing" spotters was probably more directed at some members of security companies who appear to have little or no understanding of the aviation industry and even less of spotters and their foibles.

It's just a personal opinion formed after several misunderstandings over the years. Hopefully, things are changing around the country.