Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2010, 06:32 PM
Prolific Member

He was just on the news and looked extremely happy.

Yes we all started as mail boys or girls back in the 70's that is how it was done those days and yes most of us only had a handful of jobs or less in our working lifetime.

However staying in 1 job for 36 years was and is a major achievement.I only made 29 years myself.
Old 2nd March 2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
He must of been satisfied considering he was in the same company for 36 years starting in the mail room...Maybe he was not satisfied with the future...
I think it must have been an irresistible for him to be offered a role in an Australian airline and also a chance to go against the man who beat him to the top job at Qantas. Very interesting times ahead
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:07 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd fox View Post
He was just on the news and looked extremely happy.
Yep, I'd say that's a pretty genuine smile

Old 3rd March 2010, 12:32 AM

I certainly think Borghetti has more talent with the industry than Toomey!
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:53 AM
Prolific Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/03/03/2834767.htm
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
To me it is a big signal about where Virgin wants to go. Borghetti was very focussed on product and product quality when he was at Qantas, and I think it signals the fact that Virgin will continue its push upmarket, the expansion of V Australia etc.

Given that Virgin is set for a brand revamp (or even more than that) this year, I couldn't think of a better person to have at the helm.
would totally agree here.......
Virgin wants a greater slice of the business travel market and the lucrative government contracts...a comment substantiated by Godfrey several weeks ago wherein he said that if Virgin do not get a greater slice of the government/business marker following tenders, they will at least bring down the margins QF makes in this market - a win/win he said.....
The International market........ certainly one would think that VA will grow under Borghetti and will certainly take on QF in this area but you also have to remember, JQ have recruited agressively recently and they grw under Alan Joyce so maybe VA might not get it all their own way.....

Colin Storrie leaving QF??
I think maybe we should read between the lines......
Paper today reported that Borghetti had his own hand picked team when he was with QF - you would have to rightly assume he will do the same here - no doubt there will be a lot more Borghetti supporters reading to fly the coup.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:12 AM

Strange to see Borghetti without a tie. He used to be a very snappy dresser in a Zegna suit. I assume he has now thrown away all of his ties and is heading down to Country Road for some casual chinos and some sports coats.

I agree that he will be a good acquisition for DJ particularly if it wants to improve its offering to business and government. I guess the fine line he has to walk is growing the business without losing too many customers off the bottom to Jetstar and Tiger.

I wouldn't expect DJ to morph into a full-service airline and instead to keep a lot of its user pays services. Godfrey has intimated that they were going to fiddle with their Y+ product so you can expect some change here but I wouldn't expect it to turn into the type of product VX currently offers in First Class (apparently excellent) unless there is substantial proof that they can fill these seats throughout the day, not just a peak times between MEL and SYD.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:41 AM

Old 3rd March 2010, 12:40 PM

Could this be the start of a big change in the Australian airline industry? Looks like it could be...
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:50 PM

if it needs Virgin Blue to get a new CEO to effect a a big change in the Australian airline industry shows how inept the current management is!!

They should have done it already

Banjo

ps and I don't believe the current management is inept