Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2009, 10:13 AM

If you are an oldie like me and TAA ran in your veins, visit the TAA Museum near Essendon Airport.

It's in the Qantas Crew Training / Simulator Centre

Be prepared to be blown away, take a cut lunch and allow 3-4 hours there.

It is a real credit to the organisers.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Longreach is in Central QLD, not easily accessible to the average family or an aviation enthusiast, and requires a significant drive from the major QLD centres such as Brisbane etc it is not a matter of ignorance, it's a matter of the museum being easily accessed by the folks who want to see it.

For me I would have no other interest in being in Longreach other than to see the museum, I am not particularly taken with the other "attractions", so therefore my decision to not go there was based solely on the effort required to get there which just didn't seem worth it.

If the museum was based in Brisbane (or nearby) or the Sunshine Coast (such as the fantastic museum at Caloundra) I'd be driving up straight away. I don't mean to offend you because of where you live or anything I am just speaking from the perspective of the average family man with kids who had to decide if the drive from Bundaberg to Longreach would be suitable for the family, and to be honest as much as I'd really love to see it, just couldn't justify it.

One day I am sure I'll make it there, but it means I have to plan a whole trip from Sydney to a place in the middle of nowhere (albeit a large town maybe) just to see one museum. Most people who want to see the museum would have a similar dilemma.
I dragged my Caravan there and glad I did. The best part is getting there, plus it's all part of an adventure. I love Longreach and don't forget the Stockmans Hall of Fame is there as well.

I spent two nights there and ran out of time to see everything. May the Aviation Museum grow to twice what it is now! Plus they're about to but a roof over EBQ and E(X)BA.

Old 15th April 2009, 12:01 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
I agree with Ray, it should stay in Melbourne.

TAA has no real connection with Longreach, the only advantage of Queensland is the mild dry climate.
Might have something to do with the acid rain down south ?
Old 15th April 2009, 05:19 PM

Well it will be better looked after up there, as now is basically kept outdoors 24/7 here in MEL.
Old 16th April 2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Maybe get out and explore Australia a bit Nick. Then you'll have a reason to visit Longreach
What makes you think I don't explore Australia?

I have just spent 6 weeks traveling everywhere by road from Melbourne to Bundaberg. Longreach was just too far to keep going.
Old 4th May 2009, 05:47 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
VH-AES should be kept here in Melbourne to do what it was restored to do.It has no history to Qantas at all.The volunteers who restored it did so it could keep flying to airshows.There will be a lot of ****ed off volunteers.
Ray, having now got my hands on a copy of the April edition of Qantas News, you'll be pleased to know that the article referred to by Karl M at the start of the thread actually says
Quote:
"We felt it very important to preserve the aircraft as a flying historical artifact..."
The article then goes on to say
Quote:
"With this support from Qantas, the museum will now be able to tour the aircraft as an exhibition piece...
So all is not lost to the desert sands of the sunny state, and you'll hopefully get to see and hear this bird once more.

Cheers
Nigel