Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2009, 03:06 PM

Default Qantas To Bring A330 Maintenance Onshore

Quote:
As Pacific Brands and other companies send Australia jobs offshore, negotiations are underway which could see hundreds of Queensland aviation industry jobs protected and more jobs created.

The Australian Workers' Union Queensland vice-president Marina Williams said negotiations with Qantas to move the maintenance of more than 20 A330s passenger aircraft from The Philippines to Brisbane were well advanced.

"The ageing 767 fleet is being phased out by Qantas," Ms Williams said.

"There are up to 400 staff working in the hangars in Brisbane servicing and maintaining these aircraft," Ms Williams said.

"The potential was for many of these jobs to be lost in coming years as the 767 fleet was phased out.

"However, we are negotiating for more than 20 of the new A330s to be serviced here in Brisbane rather than the Philippines."

Ms Williams said the Queensland government's efforts over the last decade to build a world-leading aviation industry had been critical to the negotiations to protect and create local aviation jobs.

"The agreement we are negotiating offers to not only protect 400 jobs, but create more jobs and invest in upskilling of staff.

"Employers, whether they are from the public or private sector, should do all they can to retain skilled staff in tough economic times and plan for future recovery," she said.
I guess with JQ getting 2 more new A332s later in the year it kinda makes sense with a now large A330 fleet.
Old 21st March 2009, 04:16 PM

When exactly will the 767s begin to be phased out??

Aren't some of the later ones only around 10 or so years old? I think VH-OGV is from 1999.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
As Pacific Brands and other companies send Australia jobs offshore, negotiations are underway which could see hundreds of Queensland aviation industry jobs protected and more jobs created.
Not all that long ago, the Queensland government set up a task force to keep, and attract, jobs to Queensland.

3 guesses at who is on that board. (Hint, he is the man responsible for the mass outsourcing of Australian jobs to begin with).
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brownbill View Post
when exactly will the 767's begin to be phased out??

Aren't some of the later ones only around 10 or so years old? I think VH-OGV is from 1999

VH-OGA "City of Whyalla" was delivered in 1988.
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:33 PM

VH-OGB,OGC and OGD were also delivered in 1988.
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:48 PM

It will be interesting to see whether or not the first batch of 787-8s (due 2011-2012?) go straight to Qantas to start replacing older 767s rather then Jetstar as initially planned who can stick to their relatively new A330's until the 787-9s arrive later on. I just hope Qantas don't have the same problems with the 787 on the SYD-MEL/BNE runs as they did with the A330s.

I flew on OGA last year and you could tell it was 20 years old, the wings on the headrest made this horrible noise when I tried to bend them and when I tried to raise it the wings fell off. Then a few of the overhead lockers opened when we landed.

Jason
Old 23rd March 2009, 06:47 AM

I think the initial 787s will still go to JQ and QF will get their A330-200s back which can inturn replace some 767s on East Coast/New Zealand flying before QF get their 787s.
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:11 AM

Still with the 763s, do you think QF will continue into the future with the newer (10 year old examples) perhaps even adding AP Winglets as per American, Delta and New Zealand? After all, it will be a long time until QF get enough 787s (in line after JQ) to replace all the 767s.
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

It is in the groups best interests to drive JQ expansion as quickly as possible.
I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you there Andrew!

Convincing people to fly with Qantas over another airline because you can fly on the new A380 has been a big success with the aircraft getting great satisfaction ratings.

A lot would argue that the premium carrier should have the new and premium aircraft!

You have your Business class, and higher economy passengers flying to Tokyo on an old 767, and you have your low fare passenger flying to Asia on a brand new A330.

Why? Because Jetstar would be unable to make a profit flying 767s on the route, while Qantas could, and so it is not in somebody's best interests to show that.

It will, of course, all come full circle, and eventually the voice of the premium passenger will be heard once more demanding quality.
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:40 AM

The 763s are all still going strong. Aren't all the QF 763 ER models?

I hope they keep them in service for as long as possible. A world without the 767 is a boring world IMO.