Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2013, 06:34 PM

Smile

Dash-300 has a MTOW of 19+ Tonne, Chris. I thought it was to do with a jet service, i.e. Albury and Port.

Ash, I apologise. Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.

The problem with screening inbound passengers is bussing from the gates to a common entry point (usually Gate 47, I think), which is also used by non-screened ports, such as Dubbo/Moree etc. Unless there is a change to procedures where already screened passengers are segregated/handled differently from those at non-screened ports, the practice will have to continue, unfortunately.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:25 PM

And we call ourselves 'pilots' because we have trouble spelling aviator.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:14 PM

Oh whoops my mistake Hugh. It's not necessarily the jet that is the issue. It's the Q400 and ATR. For example Wagga Wagga has had to implement security screening now even though there's no jet service. However it is only in operation when the Q400 is operating.

Here is the link. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/tra...edJuly2012.pdf. It's 20,000kg and above.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:14 PM

Hugh it used to be based around jet vs prop. It changed last year to weight based and is actually 20t not 17t. So some F50 may be caught but as I understand it the highest TOW for a DH8C is 19.9t so narrow escape there!
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:22 PM

It can getting very confusing here in BNK as the 630am Rex flight is not screened but the j* at 9 is, unless of course the ZL flight is late either due to CTMS or crew rest which will then depend what security want to do and what time it departs. And dont worry guys the passengers get confused too, they cant understand that all the flights are going to Sydney but if you get up early you wont have the hassel of going thru any security checks, just check in and away you go. Depending on what time you leave will depend on wether you and your baggage get screened or not.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:48 AM

That's an interesting one. What's to stop someone going into the "sterile" area for the Rex flight and leaving a knife/gun/boxcutter/whatever there for someone on the JQ flight to pick up later?

I honestly thought the rule was that if an airport had security screening equipment then it had to be used for every flight.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:23 PM

The departure lounge is locked and searched up to twice a day, this includes turning all the chairs up side down, checking under any mats,cleaning out any rubbish bins etc, checking also with metal detectors. They have it down pat now.
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:45 PM

So um... wouldn't it be a better use of resources to just scan the passengers for the turboprop flights?
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:56 PM

not apparently, if you ask Rex:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-0...eement/4546640
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:40 PM

G'day all... so, has this change actually happened? QF haven't announced anything and their website still says international transfer from T3 is opposite Gate 1?

Cheers
Rowan