Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2008, 08:11 AM

David Powell,

Hi David,

You are correct, I apologise for representing you as the author of the comment made by Joe Frampton.

If I may add, the toilet facilities were available for the majority of the flight prior to the diversion, holding and approach and landing.

It is Qantas policy to have the passengers strapped to their seats when low level because of possible turbulence or when in areas of known or forecast turbulent conditions. Holding patterns require turns (at Rate 1 if I remember correctly) at regular intervals and are often conducted below 10,000 feet where turbulence is more likely to be encountered.

To allow passengers to move around the cabin in these circumstances is risky. I have sympathy for those who got "caught short" but rather an uncomfortable wait to use the facilities than a injury caused by falling during a turn or incured when turbulence is encountered.

It really is a no win situation for Qantas. If a passenger was injured under these circumstances the media would have had a "field day" with it. By following these rules, formulated to ensure passenger safety, Qantas still gets criticised.

Regards
Stephen
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:38 AM

Hi Stephen

I concur with everything you say in the last post. My issue was not with the incident or how it was handled, rather with some smart-Alec comments being made by others

cheers

Dave
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:30 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Yes I understood your position, all but the first paragraph were meant as a general comment to the forum, certainly not aimed at you specifically.

I certainly agree with your observation regarding ill informed posters and their comments.

Regards
Stephen