Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th July 2009, 10:45 AM

Default Carrier Information: - Personal impressions...

Hey everyone,

23/7, I am off on an Round the World trip, in order to present at a Conference in Santiago. I am flying on LAN to Santiago, via Auckland, and was wondering IF anyone has flown LAN, and what their thoughts were about their service...

From Santiago, I then head off to Madrid on Iberia, again, has anyone flown on them, particularly longhaul, and what the service was like. I know that on the A346 there is no personal IFE , so for the 12.5 hours, I will make sure the iPod is charged!

From Madrid, I then head off again to London (BA B757 with a 1.5 day trip across to Paris) before heading home on QF32 (A380) where I will see how their product compares to EK's, which I have flown on a fair bit lately! I just hope that give QF problems with OQA recently & OQC, that there will be no problems !

Thanks for any input you might have!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 7th July 2009, 12:27 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Bernie, I have flown LAN Business from Sydney to Rio De Janeiro (and return) via Auckland, Santiago and San Paulo. No complaints about the aircraft, cabin service or meals. The aircraft were A340 to Santiago and A320 for the other two sectors. I remember the takeoff from Auckland being one of the longer take off runs I have experienced, it's a long hop to Santiago, which has an interesting approach landscape. On the return trip I was very happy to find the QF Lounge open at 3 or 4am in the morning, most unexpected.

PS. If you book LAN direct and not QF Code Share, you get the FF points but not the cabin bonus.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:35 PM

Bernie, I flew to Auckland with my son on LAN economy about a month ago and have no complaints. Food was very good and so was the service. We also left exactly on time from Sydney and arrived on time in Auckland. Only problem I had was that there were so many cabin crew announcements that the movie I was trying to watch was interrupted at least 10 times and I ended up buying the DVD in AKL as I didn't get to watch the end!! ('Gran Torino' by the way...good movie!).
Old 20th July 2009, 04:19 PM

Okies...

If there is ANY chance of getting a rego for the LAN flight, I would really thank whom ever might supply... Only, out of interest that's all...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 20th July 2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
heading home on QF32 (A380)
Just pray they don't downgrade, they are a big fan of that, hahah
Old 21st July 2009, 08:47 AM

HERE HERE!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 23rd July 2009, 07:58 AM

Sitting in Gate 30 & LAN aircraft is sitting there! Missed rego when it landed but it has a 'special' 80 to the rear...
Will be back on from Santiago!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:12 AM

Rego is CC-CQA as shown on 16right.com
http://www.airliners.net/photo/LAN-A...13X/1550291/M/

Last edited by Darryl Schlodder; 23rd July 2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
I remember the takeoff from Auckland being one of the longer take off runs I have experienced, it's a long hop to Santiago, which has an interesting approach landscape.
Grahame,

I see what you meant about the takeoff from Auckland... It was VERY long indeed and one of the roughest as well once airborne! He also had a bit of trouble keeping it straight on the roll...

And as for the approach into Santiago, it is a very special approach indeed... Snowcapped Andes to the right (I was in 38A damn!) and it was like flying through a valley as I had mountains to the left... small laft bank before a steep right bank and then I had the snowcapped Andes to my side ( )... I got a couple of shots, but due to the sun, they might not be the best... Will have to wait and see! Trip report will follow, whats best, a 'sector by sector' or the entire trip in total??

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 24th July 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I see what you meant about the takeoff from Auckland... It was VERY long indeed and one of the roughest as well once airborne! He also had a bit of trouble keeping it straight on the roll...
There was a vicious crosswind at Auckland yesterday afternoon and evening, which may explain it.

A bit different from early morning yesterday when ATC were running low vis ops and a CAT III ILS approach.