Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2010, 02:37 PM
Prolific Member

Yep, and people here wonder how the media get it so wrong when they report it...
Old 12th August 2010, 09:40 AM

Default Tainted fuel blamed for Mayday landing

an update

Quote:
A Cathay Pacific aircraft forced to make an emergency landing in Hong Kong used Indonesian- supplied fuel that was contaminated, according to investigators.

Fine spherical particles were found in the engine fuel components, the engine fuel system and aircraft fuel tanks, according to a bulletin yesterday from the Accident Investigation Division of the Civil Aviation Department.

"Examination and analysis indicated that those spheres could not have been generated from within the aircraft airframe or engine systems under normal operating conditions and environment," the bulletin said.

Cathay Flight 780 had pumped 24,400 kilograms of fuel at Juanda International Airport in Surabaya, Indonesia, before taking off for Hong Kong, the report said.

Before the Cathay incident, there had been extension work performed to the hydrant refueling circuit as part of Juanda airport's apron extension project. A subsequent investigation at the Indonesian airport found that some of the recommissioning procedures were not in line with industry guidelines and practices.

The hydrant refueling system was used for the Cathay aircraft before the completion of the recommissioning procedures, the report said. Flight CX780 declared a Mayday on approaching Hong Kong International Airport on April 13, with one engine stalled and the other with only 70 percent power.

The emergency landing injured 57 passengers, 10 of whom were sent to hospitals. Six tires were blown out.

The report recommended that Juanda airport authorities conduct an extensive review of the re- commissioning procedures and ensure the procedures are completed before resuming hydrant refueling at the airport.

The investigation aims to identify the cause of the loss of thrust control which led to the emergency landing of the Airbus SAS A330.

The second bulletin issued yesterday came three months after the investigation team issued its preliminary report in May. Cathay Pacific said in a separate statement no faults were found with the aircraft or engine control systems.

The Civil Aviation Department, in conjunction with the Air Accident Investigation Branch of the United Kingdom, the French civil aviation safety bureau and the US National Transportation Safety Board, will continue the investigation with the support of Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Cathay Pacific Airways
Old 13th August 2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee G View Post
Why deplane all the passengers via the slides? I would have thought that keeping then on board and disembarking by steps brought to the aircraft would have been safer even with blown tyres on the main gear?
I second this question. I understand there is written procedure that crews must follow and 2mins to evacuate 309 pax is a great effort by the CX crew.
However with firecrews present, was there really a concern that the flaming brakes could ignite the fuel tanks?
I would have thought 2 or 3 fire tanks on the scene could have put out all fires very quickly, even if every wheel of the a/c was on fire?

I obviously don't have much of an understanding of the fire risks, so I ask here seeking knowledge.

cheers
Old 27th August 2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.S View Post
I second this question. I understand there is written procedure that crews must follow and 2mins to evacuate 309 pax is a great effort by the CX crew.
However with firecrews present, was there really a concern that the flaming brakes could ignite the fuel tanks?
I would have thought 2 or 3 fire tanks on the scene could have put out all fires very quickly, even if every wheel of the a/c was on fire?

I obviously don't have much of an understanding of the fire risks, so I ask here seeking knowledge.

cheers
flaming brakes could trigger the following,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzWp67PIMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocxPoUUnIQ

if the landing speed is so high a lot of energy would have been converted into heat with the brakes.
Notice the fire doesn't start until 3 or 4 minutes after the heavy braking
Old 27th August 2010, 10:10 PM

This crew had just done a VERY high energy stop (far in excess of any considered scenarios for the aircraft) having lost control of both engines during various stages.

I think we should forgive them a decision to evacuate the aircraft given they had no idea why they had the failures they did, and that they had put far more energy into the brakes than any test ever has, including the ones resulting in wheel fires.

The jury is still out on whether it is a good idea to evacuate or not in a brake fire scenario. Yes, the fire crew will be on hand, but have a read of what the fire crew's job actually is... you might be surprised. The purpose is to protect a safe evacuation route for passengers from an aircraft, not to put out fires. That is a secondary role.