Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2009, 11:29 PM

Default T1 renovations

I decided to call into T1 on the way home from work yesterday to see what's new as I haven't been there for a while. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a renovated section of the foodcourt landside has opened and there are views back out onto the apron again!! Ok they may be a bit limited in comparison to what was there before but, nonetheless, it was great to be able to sit and have a coffee and actually see planes. The angle is quite good to see takeoffs on 34L up to about the 07/34 intersection - perfect to watch yesterday's QF A380 departure. The feature that struck me the most though was how you'll be able to see those people who have alread gone through immigration as they walk to Pier C as there is only a floor to ceiling glass wall seperating landside coffee sippers and departing pax.
Old 30th August 2009, 02:25 AM

That's good to hear, as when I was in mel last march I could not find any area to sit and watch the planes and I went all over the airport cos I had a few hours to spare, only at the gate you can see your aircraft and maybe a tail of another aircraft. It would be great if they could have an observation deck like syd has.
Old 30th August 2009, 06:29 PM

They used to, if I remember correctly.
Old 31st August 2009, 01:06 PM

Yes they did, it was perfect. I still don't know why they closed it off.
Old 31st August 2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the update Steve - any view is better than no view at all.

MEL used to have an observation deck - they reopened it in 2005 for the A380 visit but it is closed again. It wouldn't surprise me if they have built over it since - it was a great spot though.

In MEL, thier food court was alright in terms of views but with thier terminal changes, all of that window was blocked off the last time I was there (July). It wasn't great for photos due to the reflection but a nice spot to watch the traffic while eating.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:40 PM

I hope MEL gets back some of the great views it once had. I could REALLY date myself amd say that I still miss the massive outdoors observation deck that once existed at T1 in SYD. It extended full length from both ends of the terminal and up and over the central pier going out to the gates. There were also 2 open air verandah decks up stairs on either side of the pier on the top floor of the terminal at around the level of the current outdoor platform. But if we are going to get seriously sentimental , I miss the days when you could walk out along the pier with the passengers, right up to the gate where passengers and farewellers were then seperated as the pax went downstairs to the gate.
Btw, I meant to ask in my initial message, what is the construction going on immediately north of T1 between the elevated roadway and gate 8/southern part of the cargo area? I assumed another part of the cargo complex??