Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2012, 04:28 PM

Default Various euro airlines - thoughts and opinions

Hey guys,

Off to Europe again in October and will be flying a number of airlines that I have not flown before so I was wondering if I can hear some thoughts on opinions from those who have.

Am flying Emirates from Australia
EK415 SYDDXB 773
EK5 DXBLHR A380

EK108 MLADXB A343
EK412 DXBSYD A380

I didn't even know EK had A340-300s. Are they up to the same standard as the rest of the fleet?

In and around Europe we'll be flying SAS from London to Stockholm and Gothenburg to Paris. Lufthansa from Geneva to Frankfurt and finally Air Malta from Frankfurt to Malta.

I have flown with Air Malta about 11 years ago on 733, however they now have A320s.

Will be interested in anything anyone can say.

Cheers

M
Old 28th February 2012, 06:05 PM

Hi Mark,

Having flown a lot on EK, primarily on A380/B77W and A332, I can throughly recommend them! I am not sure as to the condition of the hard product though on the A343, but I recall reading somewhere recently, that they may well be up for sale/wet lease in the not to distant future (c. 2015?) so maybe the hard product in these birds may be somewhat different/out dated when compared to the B77W/A380 you would have flown out of Aust on.

SAS, I have flown both Long Haul (NRT-CPH-NRT) and short haul (LHR-CPH-LHR and CPH-MAN AND LHR-CPH), and they were not too bad. The trolley dollies maybe on the slightly older side, but when compared to my experience on IB SCL-MAD, the SAS crew were infants! Service was very good, but I think they now have a buy-on-board for inter Europe flights. I also flew on SK Mad Dogs, but fleet renewal I think only a few (c. 5?) remain in the fleet!

Lufthansa and Air Malta, I know nothing about - sorry!!

Will look forward to seeing a trip report when you return!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 28th February 2012, 08:42 PM

The EK A343 and A332 product is sub par to the rest of the fleet.

The whole EK experience isnt as great as it once was in my opinion.

The B777W is uncomfortable down the back due to the 3x4x3 config. Most B777s operators have 3x3x3
Old 29th February 2012, 02:40 AM
Administrator

I have flown LH long-haul (FRA-NRT, NRT-MUC, FRA-BKK), short-haul (LHR-FRA, FRA-LIN, LIN-FRA, BUD-FRA) and regional (MUC-SOF) and have found their service to be efficient and slick, if not a little sterile. I consider them the European version of CX. FRA and MUC airports were also slick and efficient. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS F9/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 29th February 2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The B777W is uncomfortable down the back due to the 3x4x3 config. Most B777s operators have 3x3x3
Uncomfortable? Pure luxury if you're a veteran of AirAsiaX

You do rub shoulders with the people next to you but the service and IFE have always offset that for me. I must admit though you sure notice the difference when you transfer off the 777 and jump in a A380.
Old 29th February 2012, 06:59 AM

I've flown SAS intraEurope many times in the last couple of years... my only tip: if you do get an MD82, sit up the front. Those engines are loud!
Old 29th February 2012, 08:24 AM

Hi Mark,

I always fly Emirates when heading to Europe. I'm a fan!!

In 2008 i flew A340-500 Sydney to Dubai. Was a bit uncomfortable due to poor seating. I had the seat in front of the toilet and didn't have as much recline as the other seats.

I then flew to London on a B777 and was fine.

Other flights i have been on:

2010...Auckland to Sydney...A380. Awesome!

2011...Sydney to Dubai...A380. Awesome! Was so comfortable and better than my A340 flight in 2008.

2011...Dubai to Larnaca...A330. This must have been the oldest plane on the Emirates fleet. It still had the ash trays on the seat handles. The overhead lockers were shaking like hell on takeoff and landing....but overall smooth flight.

2011...Athens to Dubai...A330. Awesome!

2011...Dubai to Sydney...A380. Awesome!...when i arrived in Sydney it was so foggy couldn't see anything on the on board camera..then the runway just appeared out of no where for a nice smooth landing. I should really post the video of this..
Old 29th February 2012, 10:28 AM

LH short hall in Europe is pretty spartan and cramped. I flown a few legs on A320/A321s and CRJ70s, Most recent was on an RJ70 from MUC to TLS last year, and it was a lot noiser than I expected and the service was pretty sparse. Crews are efficient but not terribly friendly.

EK is the benchmark long haul airline for me, along with EY and SQ.

Haven't flown SAS or Air Malta.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks very much for your replies guys.

I am very much looking forward to this trip. Obviously a month of catching up with family and freinds but three airlines that I have never flown before and one that has changed a lot since I last flown them.

I have never written a trip report before but I may just for this trip.

Bring on October!

Cheers

M
Old 6th November 2012, 09:30 AM

Hi all,

I have been home from my trip for a week now. It was a great month away with a fare amount of flights in the end.

Having asked for some opinions prior to my trip, I thought I might re-open this thread and give some of my own.

I don't intend for this to turn into a trip report though.

International flights all on Emirates
SYD DXB EK415 773ER A6EGC
DXB LHR EK005 A388 A6EDW (at the time, their newest)
MLA DXB EK108 A343 A6ERR
DXB SYD A388 A6EDN

I guess many on the board have flown Emirates, these were my first flights with them. My synopsis; the ICE entertainment system on the 777 and A380 is the best IFE I have come across.

The service was impeccable. So much food! Leaving Sydney at 0600 I didn't even try to sleep on that flight and I don't recall a time where I didn't see a crew member, for longer then about 15-20 minutes.

One thing that was strange on EK415 was the use of the mood lighting. Shortly after departing we were served breaky and then only a couple hours into the flights were told to draw our shades and up come the stars....I was a bit confused because our body clocks were at 0800 and the flight was arriving in DXB around 1500....why did they want us to think it was night, but they did for about 11 hours!!!! That was the only strange use of mood lighting. Everything else was appropriate to the actual time of day.

The A343 was different, and I guess this is a matter of perspective. If you are used to flying budget carriers, then the aircraft would probably be close to the best you have been on. If you mainly fly full service airlines then not so much. The IFE was a different, non-AVOD system. The interior was older, and dirtier. In my opinion this aircraft is not worthy of being in the EK fleet. I presume all the A330's and A340's are the same.

Although this was my first flight on an A340 of any type, I've flown on plenty of A330's and I don't like them, so there could be an element of bias in my opinions.

LHR ARN SK1530 736
GOT CPH SK430 CRJ900
CPH CDG SK559 A321

All the flights on SK were smooth sailing. Cabin crew were pretty young and all the aircraft were clean and well presented. Our 736 did not show its age (c.1998).

Comfortable seats, good leg room.

I don't recall any IFE on any of the flights, even the longer sector LHR ARN. I was busy reading QF32 anyway!

For economy pax its a pay on board for meals. Tea, coffee and water all FOC.

GVA FRA LH1217 735
I was very surprised with this flight. Don't know why but I was not expecting much from Lufty. I really liked the slimline, leather (faux???) seats. Their was ample leg room on an aircraft that defied its 21 years. In fact when I looked up its age I didn't believe it.

Even on the short flight (< 1 hour) we were served with a snack, tea, coffee and water in Y. All FOC.

FRA MLA KM329 A319
I was looking forward to this flight. I am a patriotic person and, even with all their grief I just feel much better when I step on board a QF aircraft. As I am also a Maltese citizen, for the reason I felt pretty good when I stepped on board my Air Malta flight....until I sat down.

The seat pitch was by far the worst I've experienced and with a flight time of over 2.5 hours I thought I was going to have sore knees by the end of the flight.

That said, the service was good, we were served with a hot meal and there were drop down screens however no earphones provided. I guessed you could ask for them though.

Overall, all flights were very enjoyable, I have now flown on all types of 737, excluding the 9's that are currently flying and first flights on A321, CRJ900 and A340.

Third flight on an A380. I think this is fast becoming my favorite aircraft. Will be interesting to see how they age.

Cheers

M