Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2009, 08:09 PM

Default Space Shuttle Atlantis

Howdy all

Possibly not everyone is aware that you can watch the Space Shuttle live at http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ (or www.iinet.net.au/freezone if you are with iinet).

It's due back tonight (our time) - they had two opportunities, but the first one has been waived off (due to a communications sat going u/s and bad weather at Kennedy).. The second attempt will be have the shuttle landing at 0129 EST. If that doesn’t happen they'll have a go tomorrow.

I must say it was pretty cool watching the EVA (spacewalks) earlier this week.

Regards

Luke/PER
Survived 1562 flights / 5407:43hrs / 2,431,608 miles
Now SQ, EK, QF, AF, EK, KE and CZ A380 compliant - MH next!
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:54 PM

They were just talking about having a go tomorrow morning (their morning) at possibly Edwards AFB. Too much rain at the moment. Great find Luke, wish i'd know about it before when the walks were on!!!
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:53 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

They are one hour into their eight hour sleep time, another re-entry day starts again at 2pm EST from what I could work out.
Old 23rd May 2009, 08:36 AM

Interesting stuff on NASA websites.

I gather by reading what the Bush Administration ordered, STS-134 Discovery will be the last Shuttle Flight which is due 16th September next year.
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:55 PM

hmm. they are now talking about having slush/ice in the radiator. Wonder if thats a problem or not?
Old 24th May 2009, 10:35 PM

They've just waived off again. They have set the clocks for the deorbit burn. They want to get it down after this next orbit.

I've heard that it costs millions for a landing on Edwards AFB especially for the transportation of it back to Kennedy on the 747.

And i'm guessing when they talk to "Scooter" its the Captain?
Old 25th May 2009, 12:47 AM

Going for a landing at Edwards AFB, so get ready to see new pictures of that 747

And it does cost millions and millions for transportation...iirc it takes over a week just to fly it back.
Old 25th May 2009, 01:13 AM

"Possibly not everyone is aware that you can watch the Space Shuttle live"...Nasa has been on the net since it started, i have been watching for years. Besides covering any mission they have a good broad collection of education tv shows on space & technology between missions. The TV online also covers other launches.Great HD videos to download.The satellite/space station spotting software is handy to plot sightings.Nasa.gov.Atlantis touch down 1.40 am monday.
Old 25th May 2009, 01:40 AM

Space shuttle Atlantis has Just landing at Edwards Air force Base on runway 22 great sight to see watching it on nasa Tv.
Old 27th May 2009, 02:34 AM

We got to watch it fly over us twice here in HNL during the last two orbits. Perfect timing with regard to sunrise...best time is right before the sun comes up or right after it sets at night. Very often see the Space station since the air is so clear and not much in the way of light shining up from the city. Talked to the crews several times via ham radio...plus listen to them talking to schools and making personal calls home via the ham radio telebridge that is located at one of the schools in the area. Fun stuff !!! plus I just invested in a new handheld so am now trying to follow those well written instructions

MS