Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2009, 09:52 AM

The only thing Nigel pilots is a coffee cup and Krispy Kreme donut
Old 10th March 2009, 02:18 PM

From NEWS.COM.AU:

Quote:
THE Indonesian pilot of a plane that crashed killing 21 people, including five Australians, said he did all he could to land the aircraft safely.
The Garuda Indonesia Boeing 737 slammed onto the runway at Yogyakarta airport, careered into a field and exploded in flames on March 7, 2007.

A government probe found pilot Marwoto Komar ignored 15 automated cockpit warnings not to land as he brought the plane in at roughly twice the safe speed.

Mr Komar is now facing trial in Yogyakarta, accused of criminal negligence leading to death. A verdict is expected in the coming weeks.

But in a magazine interview this week, Mr Komar said human error was not to blame for the crash.

"One possibility, is that the stabiliser jammed," he told Tempo magazine.

"The system that functions to stabilise aircraft jammed during the last part of the landing, in the crucial seconds before the landing."

Mr Komar said the aircraft came in towards the runway too steeply, and he tried to correct it.

"I tried to lift the plane up but I couldn't," he said.

"I yelled, 'oh no, nothing is right'."

Mr Komar said he landed the plane as a last resort, and the crash could have been much worse if he had not acted the way he did.

"There is no pilot who wants such an accident," he said.

Prosecutors last month abandoned a charge against Mr Komar that he deliberately crashed the plane, conceding they did not have enough evidence to back it up.

Mr Komar's case was due to return to court tomorrow.

The Australians killed in the crash were diplomat Liz O'Neill, AusAID official Allison Sudradjat, Australian Federal Police officers Brice Steele and Mark Scott, and Australian Financial Review journalist Morgan Mellish.

Indonesia, which relies heavily on air links across the archipelago, has one of Asia's worst air safety records.
Old 10th March 2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
said he did all he could to land the aircraft safely.
Well obviously, he ignored 15 cockpit alarms and landed at twice the normal landing speed, isn't that what all safety conscious pilots do?
Old 10th March 2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Well obviously, he ignored 15 cockpit alarms and landed at twice the normal landing speed, isn't that what all safety conscious pilots do?
That's been my argument all along...that could not have been in the interests of either the aircraft or people in it....Maybe the schedule.
Old 11th March 2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
That's been my argument all along...that could not have been in the interests of either the aircraft or people in it....Maybe the schedule.
What about his own interests? Do you really think he was reckless risking his own life as well as the pax? I don't know but one would have to believe he at least had a go to rectify his prevous bad decisions during the landing.
Old 11th March 2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
What about his own interests? Do you really think he was reckless risking his own life as well as the pax? I don't know but one would have to believe he at least had a go to rectify his prevous bad decisions during the landing.
Yes I actually think he was. He was totally negligent during the whole approach and landing phase and deserves at worst life behind bars.

Yeah, Its a hard stance but look at the results of his negligence and when your in control of an airplane and ignore warnings/signs to go around that a "rationale, well trained" pilot would then to me that is nothing but total ignorance/negligence as i said.

The Indonesian Legal system is so corrupt however that no doubt he will be set free probably to fly just when Garuda get their next big longhaul order- why not give this guy a promotion- what an absolute joke- makes my blood boil!
Old 11th March 2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Do you really think he was reckless risking his own life as well as the pax?
Based on his actions what else could one suspect apart from concluding that yes he was reckless and had little or no respect for the life of his colleagues or passengers.

It would be hard to conclude otherwise based on the pilots actions.
Old 11th March 2009, 09:19 AM

Soapboxes anyone?

Was anyone here involved in the case? Prosecuter, Judge or even the PIC or at a stretch, have been in the exact same position as the Garuda pilot in question...

Being an armchair expert is a hell of a lot easier...

Old 11th March 2009, 09:31 AM

Hey Smith, it doesn't take a genius to look at the situation and see the pilot ignored continual warnings, and then landed an aircraft at twice the normal landing speed.

Don't need to be part of the case to see the guy f****d up and killed alot of people.

Instead of the load of bollocks you posted, why don't you let everyone know your opinion on the matter. Pick a side.
Old 11th March 2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Hey Smith, it doesn't take a genius to look at the situation and see the pilot ignored continual warnings, and then landed an aircraft at twice the normal landing speed.
Is that why you feel the need to comment?

Do you have all the facts of the case? Given that I don't have all the facts, was not in the courtroom during the trial nor involved in the case in anyway, shape or form, am not a pilot and haven't been put in the same position - I'm not one to speculate on the pilots state of mind or the actions he chose to undertake.

The prosecution feel that they don't have enough evidence to get the verdict you so seethingly desire the pilot should recieve - deal with it!
Closed Thread