Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2009, 12:27 PM

Default RAAF Airlift Cababilites - Defense White Paper

With the release of the Defense White Paper today, in relation to our airlift capability, we will be acquiring 2more C-130J Hercules along with an extra 10 light tactical fixed wing aircraft whcih will be replacing the Caribou.

Quote:
These new aircraft will complement the current air transport fleet of four C-17 and 12 C-130J aircraft. The older C-130H aircraft will be retired. The Government will ensure that these new light tactical fixed-wing aircraft will have significantly greater range, speed and payload than the retiring Caribou transports.
If the H models are going to be retired, how many hercs will that leave us with? And over what time period would we expect to see them retired?

The paper also states that the KC-30 is meant to be entering service in 2010 which will also increase our ability to transport troops.
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:46 PM

Any tips on the Caribou replacement?
Old 2nd May 2009, 03:35 PM
Prolific Member

There was a rather lengthy discussion about this very topic a short time ago. Here is the link: http://yssyforum.net/board/showthrea...ht=White+Paper
Old 2nd May 2009, 04:18 PM

Another question re the hercs, does anyone know whether we would be getting them second hand or new? If second hand..im guessing from the US is more than likely?
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:13 PM

If the order is placed soon they can get brand new J models, if they wait a few years - well that would depend if Lockheed is still producing them. My bet would be brand new J's as we tend to work them pretty hard and not many operators of the J would be selling them in the near future.

As for how many Hercs - 14 once all the H's are retired (Not sure when that is planned for, 2 have been 'retired' so far)
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:42 PM

Are the two that are "retired" the ones without engines and the red noses infront of the paint hanger? If thats the case there was another one further down the flightline with another red nose?

I thought they were just awaiting painting?
Old 2nd May 2009, 06:33 PM

The new ADF Air Lift fleet after the White Paper ambitions have been fulfilled will be...

RAAF
4 x C-17A (36SQN - Amberley)
14 x C-130J (37SQN - Richmond)
10 x C-27J or C-295M (38SQN - Townsville)
5 x KC-30A

ARMY
7 x CH-47F Chinook
40 x MRH 90
12 x S-70A-9 Black Hawk

NAVY
6 x MRH 90
24 x MH-60R or NFH 90

Looks like a good mix. The two extra C-130Js will be new - LockMart has long term contarcts to build a substantial number of these aircraft for the USAF and other operators. The Caribou replacement will likely be the C-27J, while the Seahawk/Seasprite replacement could go either way...

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard M View Post
Are the two that are "retired" the ones without engines and the red noses infront of the paint hanger? If thats the case there was another one further down the flightline with another red nose?

I thought they were just awaiting painting?
I would suggest that that is the case - no engines means they have been retired. The radomes have probably been removed as spare parts and the red ones installed. I do recall the RAAF having at least two red radomes for use on Red Nose Day.

Just as an extra i have heard that the paint shop operators (TAE) are shutting down as at the end of June. Who will take over the paint shop i have no idea.

Andrew - i was under the impression that some of the CH-47D's would be modified to F standard, as well as buying new F models, giving us a fleet of roughly 12 Chinooks. I assume that is not the case by what you have stated.
Old 3rd May 2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien b View Post
Andrew - i was under the impression that some of the CH-47D's would be modified to F standard, as well as buying new F models, giving us a fleet of roughly 12 Chinooks. I assume that is not the case by what you have stated.
The White Paper brief says the six CH-47Ds would be replaced by seven new CH-47Fs, so I'm assuming the Ds may be traded in as some kind of deal on the Fs, and possibly put through the F upgrade (which is virtually a re-build from scratch anyway) themselves for the US Army perhaps.
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:59 AM

Andrew. Do you really thing 7 Chooks is enough. They are getting a seriours flogging in Afganistan at the moment. I recon at lease 12 would be a minimum with 4 on rotation to Southern Asia at any one time. It is known that 2 is not enough over there at one time. That leave another 2 groups of four at Townsville for operations, training and aircraft preperation for the rotation.