Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I decided to try the new VA for my last few flights because I was sick of the check in chaos at Qantas counters in BNE and CNS, I was very surprised at just how good the service was on Virgin from start to finish - last time I flew them was 2003 in their LCC days and I wasn't impressed with them back then, but now they've become my first preference... quick check in, staff who seem happy to help, greeting you by name as you come onboard, nice fresh and clean aircraft... all the things Qantas used to be sadly.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 24th April 2012, 02:02 PM

^^ Absolutely agree David. They're far better now than Qantas has been in a long time. If you last tried them as a LCC, give them another go. You'll be pleasantly surprised!!
Old 24th April 2012, 03:58 PM

They are now my first preference, too.

That said, all 14 upcoming flights I'm taking within, from, and to Australia this year will be with Qantas...??!

Last edited by StevenW; 24th April 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:19 PM

I also agree they have lifted their game.

Flew with them as a LCC circa 2002 and vowed never to fly them again.

Flew with them this week for business (in economy) and was pleasantly surprised with IFE, meal, on time performance and the aircraft. Check in was questionable.

Lounge was very impressive and had better food options than pasta, party pies an sausage rolls.

That was the first flight with them - let's see how the next 6 months pan out.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:48 PM

I've never had an issue with Virgin, ever, yet quite a number with Qantas. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes in a check-in queue, great friendly staff, and being looked after during delays and disruptions, all this regardless of the class of airfare I was holding, and where I was.

I've noted the transition from their LCC model since the Virgin Australia consolidation, they've really upped their game and professionalism and more than happy to continue flying them, which I will for the coming 12 flights I'm booked on.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:55 PM

Location: South Western Sydney under the approach path of YBSK

The reason I don't fly Virgin is because every airline (including Jetstar and Tiger Airways) that charges for checked in baggage the overhead lockers are filled so much that I think there is not 1 inch of space left.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:40 PM

Every airline charges for checked in baggage. Sometimes it's not a separate charge, but every airline does.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:05 AM

But when it's included in the price people are more likely to check in bags and the overhead lockers aren't overflowing.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:01 PM

I fly Virgin now to get the miles on my SQ Krisflyer. Only time I would fly Qantas is for BNE-PER where they offer the A332 but every other route I'm more than happy to go with Virgin.

Like Dave said - staff are excellent, quick on the bag drop and overall a great service
Old 25th April 2012, 12:47 PM

To be honest, this is all very subjective.

You'll have good and bad experiences on all airlines.

In addition, each persons interpretation of a "good" or "bad" experience can very significantly from person to person.