Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2010, 09:48 AM

Default RAAF C-17 at Chch

Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, ummed and arrghed whether to post here or the spotting and movements section, so please feel free to move. Spotted a C-17 inbound to Chch yesterday afternoon when heading to work, expecting it was from a US base, anyway had to venture out to the airport last night to pick up the better half, and it was sitting on the Antartica ramp and it was a RAAF C-17. I know they have 4 and are based at Amberley but it was the first time I have seen one in NZ. Thought most of them were working abroad, middle east etc, any idea what it was here for, its not Antartic flying season at the moment. Cheers
Old 16th July 2010, 01:44 PM

Not sure what they're doing but another C-17 just departed Richmond for Christchurch.

Regards.
Old 16th July 2010, 02:11 PM

Cool, can see the approaches from work so will keep an eye out for the arrival. Been here for just on a year now and outside of Antartic flying season I havent seen any Military aircraft at all (other than NZAF 757). To tell the truth I didnt even know the RAAF had any C-17's until yesterday, the ones I always used to see on the occasional drive past of Richmond were always the weekly US-Aus flight.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:20 AM

Two flights with Black Hawk helicopters for excercise at Dip Flat in Marlborough according to local news.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:05 PM

One just flew over here(Kaikoura) in low cloud and mist-no photo sorry!