Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2008, 08:18 PM

Just watched it on the news. Not much debris floating from what they showed, so the aircraft must be pretty well intact which I am sure will help out the investigators.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:30 PM
Prolific Member

Reports say the sonar readings suggest 2 large metal objects have been found on the ocean floor. What those 2 objects are is anyones guess, but if the reports of a hard hit are correct then it could be in numerous pieces.

Unfortunately it's at such a depth that diving is out of the question. They'll have to wait until salvage operators can get in there and start retrieving the pieces.

Furthermore, there was a reasonable swell running last night which calmed down by the morning, and much of the coastline near the accident scene is quite inhospitable. There could be debris scattered over a wide area by now.
Old 11th April 2008, 11:01 AM

There were references in the news to recovering the 'black box' from the Metro. Just a CVR I assume, or do they carry some form of flight data recorder? I didn't even think they carried CVR.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:30 PM

The Metro has a CVR and a FDR (fellow Engineer told me yesterday)
Old 11th April 2008, 09:03 PM

Thanks Brenden
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:08 PM
Prolific Member

Sorry to bump this up, but does anyone know if they have positively identified the location of the wreckage or if a salvage operation is under way?

There were reports recently that it turned out that what they first thought was the wreckage isn't, and that the aircraft location is still unknown.

Regards,
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:54 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Nigel, I found this article on the ATSB web site, no further information availale by the looks of it.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2008/alert/2008_13.aspx
Old 24th April 2008, 08:37 AM
Prolific Member

Thanks Grahame.

I tried googling for an answer, and that was one of the articles that came up.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I tried googling for an answer
Good lad. If all else fails, do a search.

Now where have I heard that before?
Old 29th April 2008, 09:02 PM

Saw this when walking past westpoint blacktown post office in my lunch break yesteday, but only just got a chance to post it from the aust post site..Contains alot of info that we all ready know but...

From: http://www.austpost.com.au/BCP/0,146...7EMO19,00.html
Sydney aircraft accident – mail cargo

Our sympathy goes out to the family of the pilot and the staff of Airtex who owned and operated the aircraft that crashed off the coast of Sydney, NSW, last night.
Australia Post confirms that the aircraft was carrying Express Post mail sent from the ACT and NSW on Wednesday 9th April for addresses in Queensland.

The aircraft was carrying approximately 30 per cent of Express Post mail bound for addresses in Queensland for delivery today.

The aircraft was delivering the second of two Express Post consignments from Sydney to Brisbane. The first consignment had already arrived in Brisbane.

Mail to and from other destinations sent yesterday was not involved.

Regrettably, Australia Post advises customers that the mail carried on this aircraft is likely to be damaged or held by the relevant authorities.

Australia Post recommends that customers who sent Express Post to addresses in Queensland from the ACT and NSW on Wednesday 9 April allow time for delivery and then check with the addressee to see if their item has arrived.

Only customers who sent Express Post items and are concerned that their mail has been lost are advised to contact the Australia Post customer contact centre on 13 13 18.

Before calling, customers should have with them the item’s barcode number that is displayed on the peel-off receipt sticker on the Express Post article.

Further Information:

Phone: 03 9204 5362