Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2008, 07:04 PM
Prolific Member

If they're soaring at 27000' then they'd hardly be using much oxygen up.

If they were a hummingbird on the other hand...

However having said all that, Australian Pelicans, which are the largest of the worlds 8 pelican species, have only been recorded to around 3000m.

Last edited by Nigel C; 20th April 2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 20th April 2008, 07:06 PM

Is the air thick enough at 27,000ft to soar? Or would they have the flap their wings quite a bit to keep from stalling?
Old 20th April 2008, 07:15 PM
Prolific Member

If a bird soars, they generally don't need to flap their wings...

Gliders have been to over 30000' in Australia, with the record currently held by Rick Agnew who flew from Bunyan (near Cooma) to all over the Snowy Mountains using mountain waves to gain altitude. Ain't no flapping of any wings there!

From the Gliding Federation Australia website www.gfa.org.au
Quote:
Absolute altitude R.Q. Agnew 26/8/95 Std Jantar 10058 m

Last edited by Nigel C; 20th April 2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 20th April 2008, 08:43 PM

Wasn't contesting what you said Nigel was just curious about how they would manage it. I had no idea that it was possible to take a glider that high.
Old 20th April 2008, 09:19 PM
Prolific Member

I wasn't suggesting that you were contesting anything I said either.

You'll find that the relative ground speed needed to soar at altitude is higher than what's required at low levels.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:42 PM
Prolific Member

From www.news.com.au

Quote:
Bird strike fears 'unfounded', airlines not at risk

By Melanie Christiansen April 21, 2008 12:00am

Bird-shredded F-111 AIRLINE passengers should not be unduly alarmed about mid-air bird strikes, despite the devastating impact of a pelican on a defence force F-111, experts say.
Classified photos published in Brisbane's The Courier-Mail showed the jet, with its "shredded" fibreglass nose, after an emergency landing at the Amberley RAAF Base.

The F-111 was flying at 900m on a test bombing raid over Evans Head, in northern NSW, when the pelican struck the fibreglass nose and smashed the radome before being sucked into an engine.

Repairs to the fighter are expected to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But despite the extensive damage – and an admission from a Defence spokesman that the RAAF has suffered "a few" such serious incidents in its history – Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson yesterday played down the risks for commercial airlines.

Mr Gibson said a single bird strike would not cause as much damage for a commercial plane as it did in the case of the F-111 bomber struck over northern NSW.

"I've never heard of anything as dramatic as that, so there may be unique features about that aircraft that caused that or, I don't know, maybe it was a really fat pelican," he said.

In the case of a commercial jet, Mr Gibson said the most common problem was a bird being sucked into an engine and damaging the blades or a windscreen cracking.

That would not jeopardise the aircraft's ability to land safely, although it could be costly to airlines, he said.

Figures from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau show there were 610 bird strikes around Australia's 10 major airports last year – with Cairns the most dangerous airport for bird strikes.

It recorded 105 incidents within a 5km radius, compared to 100 bird strikes around Sydney airport and 80 around the Brisbane airport, which is next to the Boondall wetlands, an important feeding ground which attracts migratory birds.

To reduce the risk of bird strikes, Brisbane Airport Corporation funded a Queensland University of Technology study into what grasses – and what length of grass – are least likely to attract birds.

The airport also chooses trees to plant which do not produce the type of flowers and seeds sought by birds.
Although they've quoted a number birdstrikes, they haven't said if they're confirmed or unconfirmed strikes. This can alter the stats dramatically.

Also, the real measure of birdstrike rates should be measured in strikes per 10000 movements, and not 'recorded incidents'. Using this analysis, I believe Sydney actually comes out close to having the lowest strike rate for any of the major airports.

Nigel
Old 21st April 2008, 08:01 PM

Am I the only one thinking that the RAAF's aircraft should be a little more.. tolerant?

I thought these aircraft were designed to be used in combats, dangerous tasks, etc.. yet they're out there getting damaged by birds?
Old 21st April 2008, 08:07 PM
Prolific Member

We'll see how your nose goes after hitting something at 550km/h, shall we?

Last edited by Nigel C; 21st April 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:14 PM

What are the major forms of bird control measures at major airports?

I was told once that they used bird handlers with falcons/kites to chase away the nuisance birds.... is that true? Sounds sort of storylike to me.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
What are the major forms of bird control measures at major airports?

I was told once that they used bird handlers with falcons/kites to chase away the nuisance birds.... is that true? Sounds sort of storylike to me.
yes that's true and it is not just a story

other bird (wildlife) control methods include live firing and firing of shell crackers, playing sounds (noise) to simulate the calls by distressed bird.

It is also important to manage the environment surrounding the airport. As you might be aware SACL placed netting over ponds to prevent birds getting in etc. Other aspects include monitoring grass levels (length of grass), clearing food and water sources and minimise nesting areas etc.

For those interested have a read here:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/...t_by_birds.pdf pg 11-12 details control methods, while more interestingly page 28 outlines the impact forces of different bird sizes and different speeds!

Last edited by D Chan; 21st April 2008 at 09:40 PM.