Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th April 2012, 01:41 PM

Default Use the Lounge security screening

When in Sydney you should use The Lounge separate security screening - it saves the long queues.

Having said that, we were most displeased that the seats we'd logged in and chosen 3 weeks ago for yesterday's DJ560 out of Perth were occupied by others when we went to check in (two hours early) and no explanation for the re-allocation could be given. What's the point of offwering online seat selection if it's going to be igniored?

It had better not happen again!
Old 25th April 2012, 11:39 PM

How do you pick seats 3 weeks out when seat selection is only available 14 days prior to the flights?
Old 26th April 2012, 12:00 AM

Arrow 3 weeks --> 2 weeks

Quite right - it was 11 April that we chose our seats for yesterday's flight, and the system let me do that and displayed the seat selections (7JK and 8JK) as saved. But on check in they were gone and we ended up with 23A plus 24A, B and D. Go figure!
Old 26th April 2012, 11:30 AM

Ask (gripe?) and ye shall receive...

Quote:
VIRGIN AUSTRALIA REVEALS MAJOR ENHANCEMENTS FOR SYDNEY AND MELBOURNE DOMESTIC AIRPORTS

26 April 2012

Virgin Australia today revealed a series of major enhancements to its facilities at Sydney Airport’s Domestic terminal (T2) and Melbourne Airports’ Domestic Terminal 2.

The enhancements at Sydney Airport include a new state-of-the-art lounge and a significant upgrade to its dedicated pier within the terminal. The new architecturally designed lounge will stretch over two levels, doubling the existing size of the Sydney lounge and providing sweeping views of Botany Bay and beyond.

Virgin Australia’s Pier A at Terminal 2 will be refurbished internally and expanded to accommodate larger aircraft.

Virgin Australia Chief Executive Officer John Borghetti said that Sydney Airport was Virgin Australia’s largest hub and an important focus for the airline. “With 8 million Virgin Australia guests travelling through every year, providing a seamless first-rate experience at Sydney Airport is critical to Virgin Australia. The enhancements announced today will enable us to do just that, establishing Sydney as our flagship domestic lounge and offering guests more spacious and comfortable terminal facilities. The pier expansion will also allow us to provide additional flight frequencies for our guests, with more positions for narrow and wide body aircraft”.

Mr Borghetti said Virgin Australia would also continue to improve the Virgin Australia travel experience at Melbourne Domestic Airport, building on recent enhancements including a new lounge, valet parking and priority security screening.

“In May 2012, we will commence a major refurbishment of the interiors of our Melbourne domestic terminal. The refresh will include new flooring, seating and washroom facilities and is designed to create more space and bring the Melbourne terminal in line with Virgin Australia’s contemporary look and feel”, Mr Borghetti said.

The enhancements at Sydney and Melbourne domestic airports are expected to be completed by the end of this year.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A McLaughlin View Post
Ask (gripe?) and ye shall receive...
This doesn't seem to mention check-in sadly.

I do vastly prefer Virgin Australia over Qantas and overall the experience is much better IMO, but boy do they have to fix check-in in Sydney in the mornings. My last experience a couple of weeks ago both the "check-in" and "bag drop" queues were overflowing, the latter overflowing so much that it had begun to do a couple of spirals around a set of flight information monitors. Yes, that's spirals plural... it went around about 1.5 times. I spent almost 30 minutes in that spiral and didn't even get into the actual queueing area before they called my flight for the closing soon queue... where there was more confusion and delay. They can't be treating that as business as usual operation. They really need to figure out how to process people more quickly and do it.
Old 17th May 2012, 06:24 PM

Default No spirals here

Sorry Robert, my wife is Gold QF and Gold DJ so I don't know what a spiral queue looks like, or spending any time in the main terminal waiting for a flight, you'll find me with a rum n' coke and hopefully licorice allsorts...

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 17th May 2012, 08:23 PM

Like your style Joe ; G&T (go easy on the Tonic) and Home Brand Licorice Allsorts do it for me.

In another life it was always First Class on transcontinental trips but those days are long gone. Great memories of Ansett, T A A and Australian Airlines (Mk 1) before Frequent Flyer points.
Old 17th May 2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Home Brand Licorice Allsorts do it for me.
Bassetts Licorice Allsorts are the best.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Quite right - it was 11 April that we chose our seats for yesterday's flight, and the system let me do that and displayed the seat selections (7JK and 8JK) as saved. But on check in they were gone and we ended up with 23A plus 24A, B and D. Go figure!
I am guessing this is due to a change of aircraft from the old A332 (27J/251Y) to the new A332 (24J/255Y). As there are no rows 7-9 (inclusive) on the new A332, your seat selections may have been lost when they changed.

None
Old 30th May 2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
The sooner people relise when you fly with the like Va what more do you expect.Want to be a full service airline but will not have staff there to handle situations.Thus the reason why i fly QF.People will not learn you get what you pay for and have the staff what they get paid.
I'm getting the wonderful service from Virgin, even though my flight is 2 weeks away.
I'm meeting up with a friend who is flying from Tullamarine to Gold Coast (me from Sydney to G.C.) and we have timed our flights to coincide with each other. The return flight I had booked is already cancelled, so I am leaving 1hour earlier than my friend, who changed from Jetstar to Virgin, because his last flight with them was delayed 8hrs due to "technical difficulties".
It seems you can't win with either airline.
With regards to check-in delays, both airlines have their problems (toss a coin to see which airline it will be today), even though their seems to be no apparent problem.