Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2008, 06:48 AM

Just an fyi for any of you with an interest in getting photo opportunities with F-16's on pretty much a daily basis. Come visit HNL and be around the airport any afternoon between 14.00 and 15.00 HST. The Air National guard planes fly daily training flights (usually group of four) and its pretty easy to get shots of them either departing or landing dependent on your location and the prevailing winds (either trades or Kona).

Regards

MS
Old 30th August 2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
Thanks Andrew - I've known about that for a while and have been involved in several discussions on other boards about it as Motty would confirm.

But don't you think it's a great pity that...."SQN colours haven't meant much since the main parts of the HUG program were started in 2005." What's happened to tradition, pride, the sense of belonging to a unit, camaraderie and esprit de corps that unit colours and badges engender ?

If that's an official attitude then it overlooks the historical significance of heraldry and "rallying around the flag" or colours and may also belittle the achievments of Squadrons in wartime when colours, emblems and badges were often a morale booster.

Our throw away and dollar driven society is obviously driving this issue and the same thing is happening with No 79 and 76 Sqn Hawks when they're swapped between units.

The exotically painted Hawk A27-21 of No 79 Sqn incorporated several aspects of the Sqn's history in its scheme (codes UP-U from WW2), green/white colours from Thailand during the Vietnam War, and a Phoenix rising from the ashes denoting the Sqn's rebirth as a Mirage Sqn in the 80s.

But that aircraft has been based at Williamtown with 76 Sqn for several years and has still not been repainted.

I've mentioned on other boards that unit markings will probably disappear over the next few years as RAAF accountants "fly our dollars further". We'll probably see a generic wing or base decal applied to aircraft which can be easily replaced when aircraft are moved around.

I'm a traditionalist and don't like it one bit.
I'm sure as the aircraft either go through CBR or deeper level maintenance they'll receive a re-paint and once HUG is done, will be re-allocated to squadrons. Tail markings and squadron crests aren't that difficult to re-apply.

Most of HUG work hasn't been done on a squadron by squadron basis, so the aircraft are all over the shop at the moment.

The units still have their colours on their shoulders and in their crew rooms, so I'm sure it's not a major issue.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:56 AM

This is my contribution

Last edited by andrew evans; 30th August 2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: To add another photo