Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2009, 01:33 PM

Default Air Traffic Controller

Hi all!

due to the recent ecconomic issues i have had to look at my options for future careers. I am Currently training to be a pilot but with the risk of airlines not going to hire for a few years i am looking at other career paths. An air traffic controller is one of the jobs i'am looking at. So i was wondering from any controllers out their what that job was like! Some questions are like what is the requirements, what hours, how stressfull is it, is their any thing i can do now at school that would help me (e.g. what to study, any courses etc) also do you get a choice at where you work (GAAP aerodrome, tower, YSSY) Any info on this would be great!. Of course i am still hoping to be a commercial pilot but this would be good so i can keep my options open!!

Thanks heeps!

Lachlan
Old 9th May 2009, 02:26 PM

Lachlan, you can try Airservices Australia's website - https://www.airservicesaustralia.com...tc/default.asp

It contains many information on becoming an Air Traffic Controller. The basic requirement is completed Year 12 with passes in English, Maths, Science (preferably Physics) or a tertiary education qualification or a commercial or private pilot licence.

You get pick your preference of Enroute, Terminal or Tower controller but it is ultimately up to where Airservices Australia assigns you.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:17 AM

Lachlan,

Info Michael has provided is good.

If you pass the aptitude test and are deemed suitable (I have no idea what the test consists of these days or what THEY consider suitable).You will then spend the best part of a year at the learning academy at Tullamarine airport. You can be assigned dependant on stream basically anywhere in australia. Most likely seems to be Brisbane or Melbourne of course for enroute sectors, GAAP or regional towers for the tower stream. You can request where you would like to be eg. Sydney, Melbourne etc but nothing is guaranteed to my knowledge.

I dont find the job stressful at all, bad weather just makes it more interesting! Beats working for a living.
Plus getting paid to watch aircraft all day from the best seat in the house is not too bad.

Regards.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:48 AM

thanks for all the info it is really helpfull so far.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:54 PM

This thread from PPRuNe contains detailed information on the recruitment process.
Old 10th May 2009, 01:28 PM

Excellent link there for any potential atc applicants on the forums!

You would think now though with such a huge shortage of Atc with ASA with closure of airspace, CAGRO set ups during holidays at YWLM etc that one would have a good chance of getting their nominated choice of location however as you say Michael could really depend where they need you.
Old 11th May 2009, 02:52 AM

Matt, Williamtown is staffed by RAAF ATC, .

Mick
Old 11th May 2009, 09:18 AM

I know Michael however over christmas/new year there was staff shortages there with alot of the atc taking holiday breaks and this CAGRO system was set up. Irrespective of it being RAAF or ASA- there is clearly still a requirement for ATC in Australia with large airspace closures.

See this regarding specific situation at Williamtown http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...t/1509009.aspx

General airspace closures and other info on ATC unions website Civil Air
http://www.civilair.asn.au/joomla/
Old 11th May 2009, 02:41 PM

Avalon were recently advertising for a CAGRO
Old 16th May 2009, 02:21 PM

The intake for Air Traffic Controllers in 2010 is now open.

http://airservicesaustralia.nga.net....app&MemberID=0

The en-route positions will based at Brisbane/Melbourne Centres.

Last edited by Michael Mak; 16th May 2009 at 03:08 PM.