Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2008, 12:49 PM

Default Cairns spotting site

Most of you will no doubt know about the RED ARROW spotting area in Cairns which is the mountain view just opposite the thresh hold of runway 33.

Well i have found a site equally as good and much easier to get to.

When going north out of town , after the first airport turn off, you will come to a set of traffic lights, swing off to the left there into Aeroglen Drive, over the rail way track, about 100 meters on you will see a car park entrance on your left, turn down there and park (free) . What your looking for it the old FLYING LEAP sign, start up that track up the stairs and follow the track up till you get to the old platform for the LEAP, it has a roof and seats and is i a top place for shots of the comings and goings.

Its a case of 40 mins up the red arrow or 5 mins up to the FLYING LEAP .
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:32 AM

I was google-ing for spotting places in Cairns and came across this post.

I'm heading up to Cairns (for the first time I'v ever been to Cairns) on the Jetstar 787 on the 14th of November, and then staying till the late afternoon and going back on a boring A320...

During the time I'm there, the 787 (which I will have arrived on 1.5 hours earlier) will be departing, and I was wanting to video the 787 departure from a 'higher up' type angle, without having to go up the Red Arrow (and during the long walk, probably miss the 787).

From what I can make of the instructions, I believe this "flying Leap" area is located here:
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-1...num=1&t=h&z=19

Since this is an ancient post from 2008, anyone know if this spot is still good to access?
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:49 PM

Yes Trent it is still the same and has shade once you reach the top.
But the Red Arrow track is higher up and has 2 lookouts with tables and so you can have a picnic lunch spotting session up there good for the kids to watch and one you can see the whole of the runway.