Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default JQ System Outage 6-8 Feb

Just noticed this on JQ's website.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/jetstar-information.aspx

Quote:
Important information regarding system outage this weekend!

On Friday 6 February 2009, Jetstar will undergo one of its biggest system changes in the airline's history as it replaces its current reservation system. The system replacement has been carefully planned over the past 12 months to prepare for a smooth transition. All Jetstar operations in Australia, New Zealand, Asia and USA will be impacted by the system replacement.

The system replacement will improve booking speeds via Jetstar.com, which will have an increased capacity to handle more customers and transactions at one time. This improved system will accommodate the growing requirements of Jetstar's ever expanding network of routes and destinations.

Replacing the system will require Jetstar's entire reservation systems, including the internet booking facilities and the Telephone Reservation Centre, to close from 5.00 pm AEDT on Friday 6 February 2009. The transition between systems will take place over the weekend with the Telephone Reservation Centre and internet booking facilities expected to be fully operational again by 4.00 am AEDT Monday 9th February 2009.
Important information for passengers travelling on Jetstar flights between 6.30pm 6 February – midnight 8 February 2009:

* All airport and flight services are planned to operate as per schedule.

* To minimise inconvenience, we are encouraging passengers travelling on domestic services on Friday 6th or Saturday 7th February to check-in online via web-check at Jetstar.com Web check will be closed from 7.00pm AEDT Thursday 5 February. A web-check demo is provided to guide passengers through the process step by step (from Jetstar.com, select web-check in under the "book here" box and then click on the web-check demo). To be able to web-check, passengers must have a printer connected to their computer. Passengers with baggage should proceed to the check-in counter. Passengers with carry on only can proceed directly to gate with printed boarding pass.

* Any passengers travelling on domestic services who are unable to web-check, are asked to allow extra time when checking in as the manual process may be slower than regular check-in. Airport check-in for domestic flights opens two hours prior to departure.

* Any passengers travelling on international services are asked to allow extra time when checking in. Check-in for international flights opens 3 hours prior to departure.

* Jetstar passengers will unable to check in via the Qantas Club from 6.30 pm AEDT on Friday 6 February 2009 and throughout the weekend of the system cutover.

* Passengers travelling during this time have been sent information explaining the different operational requirements for this transitional period.

* The Jetstar Telephone Reservation Centre will be closed from 5.00pm AEDT on Friday 6 February 2009 till 4.00am AEDT Monday 9 February 2009.

* If passengers need to change any booking that is scheduled to depart during this outage, they are asked to do this at Jetstar.com or via the call centre prior to 5.00pm AEDT on Friday 6 February 2009. If you need to make an urgent change to your booking during the outage, please go to the Jetstar Customer Service counter at the airport. Usual time limits for making changes apply, see http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/fare-types.aspx for details.

Important information for customers wanting to make a Jetstar booking for travel between 6 - 8 February 2009:

* Jetstar's website will not be available for bookings from 5.00 pm AEDT 6 February 2009.
* Jetstar's Telephone Reservation Centre will not be available for bookings from 5.00 pm AEDT on Friday 6 February 2009.
* Both the website and the Telephone Reservation Centre are planned to be fully operational by 4.00am AEDT on Monday 9 February 2009.
* For any urgent travel we advise customers to proceed to their closest airport and enquire at the Jetstar Customer Service Counter. Reservations made during this period will be made payable only by cash or EFTPOS.

Important information for customers wanting to make or change a Jetstar reservation for travel outside of these dates

* If you need to make a booking for travel after 8 February 2009, or change an existing booking that is scheduled to depart after 8 February 2009, please visit Jetstar.com or call 131 538 before 5.00 pm AEDT on Friday, or after 4am AEDT on Monday 9 February 2009.

Any passengers requiring further information please contact our call centre on 131 538 before 5.00pm AEDT on Friday 6 February 2009.

Jetstar would like to thank all passengers for their patience and understanding while we work on this important system change and apologise for any inconvenience caused. We look forward to sharing the benefits of our new system with all Jetstar customers in the near future.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29APR SYD-LAX-LAS AA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:35 PM

Oh thats just great. In other words it will be a bigger shambles than normal that big brother will have to fix!
Old 4th February 2009, 02:31 PM

Thank god I got out of my JQ sector this weekend. Even though I wouldn't have gone anywhere because on the error in the booking.

J
Old 4th February 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Qantas has nothing to do with Jetstar I.T. and business systems...
Didnt say it did. But who picks up the pieces when the flts are dlyd and cancelled?
Old 4th February 2009, 05:57 PM

I do not work in the aviation industry at all but I do work in IT and it's bizarre that the core system of the airline is going offline for an entire weekend. There is an obvious financial impact there and through their analysis, I would carefully assume that the loss of revenue did not outweigh an IT solution that would have offered them some redundancy. I've seen it all now.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:06 PM

Thumbs down World's Best Practice ...?

Methinks not. Surely they could have hired a data centre to run up the new system and then had a switchover.

Doing it this way, how and when will the staff be trained in the new system?

If anyone has insights into the thinking behind these logistics I'd love to hear it.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
If anyone has insights into the thinking behind these logistics I'd love to hear it.
I'm assuming it relates to the logistics of moving across a constantly changing database or it may also require the replacement of airport based equipment. (like checkin computers or similar)

It's got to be saving them a lot doing it this way rather than doing it as an instant switchover - If i suggested shutting the Network down for 2 days I'd be laughed out of the office.

I'm glad i'm not involved in this one - Any sort of large scale swap over like that is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 5th February 2009, 07:50 AM

Shutting down for a while weekend does seem slightly odd in this day and age!

Last edited by Owen H; 5th February 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Didnt say it did. But who picks up the pieces when the flts are dlyd and cancelled?
You would be suprised how many QLink pax end up on JQ flights when **** hits the fan.

And when you look over the OTP and XXLD flight stats for 2008 JQ usually fairs better than QF.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Myer View Post
You would be suprised how many QLink pax end up on JQ flights when **** hits the fan.

And when you look over the OTP and XXLD flight stats for 2008 JQ usually fairs better than QF.
Bet you'd be even more surprised to see the number of JQ pax that end up on QF mainline on an almost daily basis.