Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th April 2010, 12:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on their Emirates experiences. It really provides a lot of confidence in what to expect when NO ONE has reported any problems with the airline Will be looking forward to this trip, the flights, the comparison against Etihad and of course my first flight aboard an A380

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good economy row to sit on for views outside? As some of you might know I like to do my bit of video capture on my flights (though a 9:10pm departure from Sydney probably isn't going to show much ) Preferably somewhere where the wing doesn't dominate the view (in front or behind would be better I'm guessing?)

We'll be staying in Dubai on the way back from our trip as well - been eyeing off this destination for quite some time so it'll be awesome to see it all for real.

Cheers all!

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 26th April 2010, 04:16 PM

Dan,

You should be aware that if you're wider than the norm, then you may find the EK 777 experience a little cosy...
Old 26th April 2010, 07:07 PM

I can recommend 81A or 81K (see http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emi...irbus_A380.php), I've had the pleasure of 81K before. Lots of leg room and the view is not obstructed by the wing.
Old 26th April 2010, 07:47 PM

Cheers Michael... all 'those' seats were taken already when I looked into my booking. Obviously the seat of choice!

For the moment, on the outgoing flight I think we're in Row 78 (A,B) and on the way back I managed to put us up towards the front in Row 46 or 48 I think. I'm guessing it's not often you get up the front

Looks like the Dubai-Cairo leg will be a B77W now instead of an A332 and it seems there are Economy seats in front of the wing on that plane too...

Thanks everyone again for their input - and the SkyTrax site was interesting with the reviews of Emirates non-A380 aircraft.

Cheers,

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
Old 26th April 2010, 10:03 PM

Default Emirates

Just got back tonight on the Emirates A340-500 from Auckland to Brisbane - what a big smooth bird! (never been on this type before) Not a bump all the way, hot towels & menus, fabulous meal and drinks, superb ICE worked all the way... Overall just damn professional in every way, no singing, no dancing, no jokes... And the way they treated all the kids in our cabin with the backpacks and everything... And this sector was still cheaper than ANY other airline this afternoon. I only wished I was going on to Dubai! Oh well... Sigh, back to work tomorrow.

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 5th May 2010, 07:02 PM

I flew Emirates from MEL to KUL and return in the last 2 weeks, my experience was much the same. One criticism is the way they handled a family of 3 kids plus their parents - or didn't. Kids were seated (or should I say standing) in the middle seats. They spent most of the flight standing on the seats, jumping around and being general nuisances. Mum and dad basically ignored them and I would say deliberately most of the time. I felt so sorry for the pax sitting in the row in front, having their seat kicked and generally bumped quite often throughout the flight. Never once did they complain (which I thought odd but maybe they were being just too accepting) and never once did the flight attendants do anything, specially when it was obvious what was going on. The FA's simply laughed and smiled along with the kids. If it was me there would have been an incident or 2 on that flight as I would not have tolerated it at all.

When disembarking we noticed the absolute pig sty they left behind on the floor - absolutely disgusting and we were amazed the parents let them do it.

That is my only criticism of Emirates - oh and the seats are odd, my wife stands about 168cm and when seated, her feet could not touch the floor! There were no footrests (I believe there used to be) so that made the trip uncomfortable.

Otherwise an awesome plane to fly in.

Last edited by Peter JB; 5th May 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Alter text
Old 6th May 2010, 10:18 AM

For those interested, I just got an email today advertising a 6 day sale Emirates is having on SYD-AKL - $198 one way, $380 rtn. You can access it from the Emirates homepage.
Old 16th June 2010, 06:09 PM

Just flew EK for the first time from Australia to Europe, flights were fine and the service excellent, 777lr to Sydney is not the best option, only 5 toilets in economy so its not good when the que builds.

Dubai has changed a lot since I was there last, not for the good I might add..i suspect trouble on the economic horizon in years to come.

Anyway, great airline and I will gladly use them again.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 16th June 2010, 07:18 PM

Hi All,

Had a great experience with Emirates from here to Cairo and back. The A380 was the pick of the bunch for me. It was quiet, a bit more spacious in the cabin and in the economy seats and I guess I might've just been a little excited over my first A380 flight.

We had a B777-300ER from Dubai to Cairo where I found the seat was a bit narrower and legroom wasn't as good.

Returning to Dubai we had a B777-200ER, my fiancé and I sat at the back with the coupled seats and I found these were decently comfortable, and even included fold out trays from the armrest.

Our return flight to Sydney was A380 again, we had to wait an hour or so at the gate in DXB due to a huge tailwind. Our flight was swift, in about 11-12 hours with a decent 300+kmh tailwind!

Service on board was great. All staff were helpful, particularly on the return leg and they looked like they enjoyed what they did.

In-flight entertainment is second to none. The best I've experienced in my recent travels with endless things to watch, listen or play with.

To mirror my experience though, some people from our Egypt tour flew back earlier aboard a B77L and had some problems and delays out of Dubai due to technical issues and weren't kept informed of what was happening.

Very happy with my experience though and would fly them again. Also great that Velocity members can get points on Emirates flights

Cheers!

Dan

Old 17th June 2010, 10:01 PM

For anyone interested, I've started posting up a trip report at another forum with photos from my Emirates experience and throughout my tour of Egypt and Dubai...

http://www.400scalehangar.net/forums...ad.php?t=47346

Cheers,

Dan