Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th July 2008, 02:00 PM

Default Please don't take photos

Some years ago I was flying SYD-ADL QF735 on VH-EAQ, I took about 6 shots of the cabin around me, the flash would have gone off several times.

An FA came and politely / firmly told me..." I have had a request for you to not take any more photos "

A request from the CSM ?
A request from a passenger who was "sensitive " to flashguns ?

What do others think?
Old 18th July 2008, 02:22 PM

You say 'some years ago', I'm guessing it would be before about 2003 when the 767-200s were pulled out of service? If this happened after 2001 perhaps there was still some (unfounded) latent post 9/11 anxiety about this sort of thing.

When I do cabin shots I try to avoid using flash. If I do take flash photos I take at most 2 or so and if they don't turn out, well, bad luck. I haven't drawn any complaints this way. I think it's important to keep on good terms with the crew and other passengers! Even better, I would try to find a flat surface on which to rest the camera, eliminating the need for a flash - if you are using the flash to avoid a blurry image caused by camera shake. In the shaded environment of a cabin a flash can be very annoying so someone probably got irritated in your case (I assume you didn't take any shots towards the back of the cabin!). Asking permission is always a good strategy.
Old 18th July 2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
Some years ago I was flying SYD-ADL QF735 on VH-EAQ, I took about 6 shots of the cabin around me, the flash would have gone off several times.

An FA came and politely / firmly told me..." I have had a request for you to not take any more photos "

A request from the CSM ?
A request from a passenger who was "sensitive " to flashguns ?

What do others think?
Did you ask her?
Old 18th July 2008, 08:17 PM

Some people are photosensitive as a result of various medical conditions.
Most people would be irritated by multiple bright flashes in confined spaces though. Understandable.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:29 PM

A very reasonable request and these days you'd be best advised to comply or risk loosing the camera or worse still getting the plastic handcuff treatment. I'm familiar with a similar incident where two people had been watching "adult movies" on their DVD player and were less than happy when told to cease and desist by the F/A's. Next they decided they wanted to take "fun pictures" of each other in various stages of undress and in various positions (in First class). They lost the camera and the dvd player...and the Fed's met the flight at the gate promptly charging them with interfering with a flight crew and public indecency.... so a word to the wise when it comes to camera use on board aircraft.

Sorry..

MS
Old 19th July 2008, 04:30 PM

the only problem i could see is the 'flash'. Would be perfectly ok if you don't use the flash.
Old 21st July 2008, 03:27 PM

Andrew,

No, I did not ask the F/A a reason why.....

It occurred in October , 2000.

Is it currently " illegal " for pax to use a small Video Camera during take-off?

I know of someone on MH who was told to put their video camera away And the F/A came by a few minutes later to check they had complied.
Old 21st July 2008, 04:01 PM

Some airlines (Virgin Blue for example) consider cameras to be "electronic devices" and so don't let you use them on take off or landing, only in cruise, were as others don't seem to mind at all...???
Old 21st July 2008, 07:09 PM

I've used my camera numerous times on DJ during takeoff and landing without trying to hide it and haven't been asked to stop. Maybe I just got lucky as I've been told by a few people now that they don't like it!!
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:41 AM

I don't have one in front of me, but someone may be able to locate the exact text. Qantas safety cards clearly indicate that photography for personal purposes is permissable at any stage during the flight including take off and landing. I can't clearly recall if this also applies to small personal video cameras.

Like others, I think the flash may have upset other passengers and that has been the origin of the complaint.

As for Furbies, leave them at home because they're not welcome on board Qantas jets