Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd July 2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
I don't have one in front of me, but someone may be able to locate the exact text. Qantas safety cards clearly indicate that photography for personal purposes is permissable at any stage during the flight including take off and landing. I can't clearly recall if this also applies to small personal video cameras.
Jetstars safety card says the same, and it does apply to video cameras. (At least the version before the current safety card did)
Old 28th July 2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Some airlines (Virgin Blue for example) consider cameras to be "electronic devices" and so don't let you use them on take off or landing, only in cruise, were as others don't seem to mind at all...???
Is this also the reason Virgin Blue prohibit photography by pax walking across the tarmac to / from the rear stairs??

I recall we had this debate on the old board.....tarmac photography with / without a flashgun during refuelling, etc.

Last edited by Robert Zweck; 28th July 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 29th July 2008, 03:13 AM

I think the Qantas/Jetstar exemption of digital cameras/video recorders from the PED policy is great for enthusiasts and it means that I don't have to tell someone off for something I personally have done in the past as a passenger (video recorded a takeoff/landing) - but I do find it a bit strange.

If iPods/music players are to be switched off during takeoff and landing then I don't see why digital cameras/video recorders should be any different - in that they still are a portable electronic device - and if anything I would think a camera/recorder would have more of an electronic charge (if that's the correct term) running around inside it than an iPod.

But I ain't complaining about that, keep the cameras rolling I say - just don't be video recording a takeoff or landing on my flight with your mobile phone, that'll be a different story! hehe.
Old 29th July 2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Lawrence View Post
But I ain't complaining about that, keep the cameras rolling I say - just don't be video recording a takeoff or landing on my flight with your mobile phone, that'll be a different story! hehe.
You guys not do the whole 'flight mode' thing?
Old 29th July 2008, 06:38 PM

A lot of passengers have that same way of thinking Torin, that because it's in "flight mode" it can remain on during all stages of flight. When I tell people to switch their mobile phone off during cabin secure (prior to takeoff) many of them will insist "ohh but it's in flight mode so it's ok".

But even though the transmitting function of the phone is disabled by switching to flight mode (which makes it acceptable during cruise), it still falls under the classification of a portable electronic device. Therefore it needs to be completely switched off from leaving the terminal if at a stand-off bay, or from cabin door close if at an aerobridge until seat-belt sign off during climb. And then switched off again from top of descent until vacating the runway if arriving at aerobridge, or until inside the terminal if arriving at a stand-off bay.
Old 6th August 2008, 08:26 PM

Thats what I meant really, its ok to use in cruise like any other electronic device. Air NZ say switch to flight mode then turn-off, and you can turn it back on when the seatbelt sign goes off. Also, they make an announcement that you can turn it on again pretty much the second after touchdown. Haven't even taxied off the runway and they've made that call.

Does Jetstar have the same policy? I don't recall hearing the flight mode call on my last few flights.
Old 7th August 2008, 02:01 AM

Well the Jetstar (and Qantas) policy doesn't sound much different to that. We also inform passengers that they must switch their phones to flight mode prior to turning them off on the ground, otherwise they must remain off for the entire flight. It's included in the welcome aboard PA; "...if your mobile phone features flight mode, then flight mode must be selected prior to switching off. All other mobile phones must remain off for the duration of the flight..."

Once the seatbelt sign is turned off during the climb, then flight mode enabled phones can be switched on - as per what you said about Air NZ. And if arriving at an aerobridge, then you can switch mobile phones on once the aircraft has vacated the runway (normally just a few seconds after landing anyway) - this is about the 3rd piece of information the cabin manager will include in the arrival PA.

So it sounds pretty much the same as what you've described for Air NZ.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:08 AM

It's all crap anyway isn't it? As long as the device you're carrying is not transmitting a signal it can't possibly hurt the airplane or it's systems.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:36 AM

Any electronic device that is running would emit a signal, however faint it may be.
Electronic devices are running from pulsed signals, and emit a tiny RF impulse every time one of the signal lines switches state.
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:09 PM

Sorry for dredging up an old topic, but on this whole turning off electronic devices business, I flew recently with two flight deck crew repositioning as pax seated next to me, and they happily continued to use their IPads during the whole entire flight - including taxi, take-off and landing.

I can confirm that the crew member seated next to me did have his IPad in Flightmode for the entire time.

Cabin crew did not say anything at any time to them.

Thoughts?

I did not question the crew members about this use of an electronic device, because being a teacher, we have a similar situation in that our school kids are (say) banned from using a mobile phone in class, yet we can. One rule for some, another rule for others?

Incidentally, at no stage was I asked to not use my camera at any stage during the flight!

Cheers
Damian