Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2008, 04:57 PM

Check your PM, and again..

Last edited by Lukas M; 28th August 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:56 AM

Ok. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've continued my "extensive" research and compared relative prices and weighed up the pros/cons for each school. Ruled it down to just three main ones now:
  1. Schofields Flying Club
  2. Aerodiamond (Camden)
  3. RAAF Richmond Flying Club (if they deem me eligible to become a member)
Still have Aerospace as a fallback, although I'm gonna take your advice Dan since I'd rather prefer a school where I can get more one-on-one attention with my instructor/s and not just feel like a number.

In regards to Aerodiamond, one of their "pros" is the fact that they are practically on the doorstep of the training area, and combined with the reduced air traffic and taxi times etc, I'm trying to figure out whether they would be more economical. Schofields seem slightly cheaper, but I'm trying to weight this up against the fact that at Aerodiamond (Camden) the shorter taxi, holding, and travel (to training area) times will mean more value for the cost of each flight.

RAAF Richmond Flying Club seem really good, although they are only open on Friday arvo and Sat & Sun. Hence, this will mean it will take longer for me to complete the training as I won't be able to do it full-time (2-4 hours a week) as opposed to Schofields and Aerodiamond. Nevertheless, their a/c hire and training rates seem significantly less, so it is making it a hard decision to really split the three schools apart now.

Let you know how I go (especially Tony).

Cheers
Russ
Old 30th August 2008, 11:57 AM

Default Flying Lessons

Hi Russell,
I can further the advice re Schofields. They are a great club where a member feels part of a team/group just like the local RSL, a very relaxed easy going environment with highly professional instructors and equally members. Great planes as well, I personally recommend the 2002/3 warrior SFK.
I did my PPL at Schofields after a bad experience with Aerospace this year, had been at Aerospace about 2 years doing gfpt and I just wanted some consistency of instructor and training which I got at Schofields, had 1 instructor for all of PPL, whereas at Aerospace had 6 or 7 over the course of a few months. Schoies also has really cool events, flyaways etc seldom experienced at other clubs. An example is Friday Night circuits where even the low hour gfpt or anyone can fly at night in the circuit cost sharing between 3 or 4 people with an instructor on board.
If you would like, I'd be more than happy to take you round the place, or give you more info, Just drop me an email at jerseysinoz@hotmail.com.

All the best,
Matt
Old 30th August 2008, 12:19 PM

Default Schofields aerodrome being sold?

I don't know if this proposal has been superseded, but three months ago the sale of Schofields aerodrome was certainly proceeding:

http://www.realcommercial.com.au/com...estate/2517601

You may want to make some enquiries!
Old 30th August 2008, 01:05 PM

Smile

Ah yes this can be confusing: Schofields Flying Club is at Bankstown!
Old 30th August 2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D View Post
Ok. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've continued my "extensive" research and compared relative prices and weighed up the pros/cons for each school. Ruled it down to just three main ones now:
  1. Schofields Flying Club
  2. Aerodiamond (Camden)
  3. RAAF Richmond Flying Club (if they deem me eligible to become a member)
Still have Aerospace as a fallback, although I'm gonna take your advice Dan since I'd rather prefer a school where I can get more one-on-one attention with my instructor/s and not just feel like a number.

In regards to Aerodiamond, one of their "pros" is the fact that they are practically on the doorstep of the training area, and combined with the reduced air traffic and taxi times etc, I'm trying to figure out whether they would be more economical. Schofields seem slightly cheaper, but I'm trying to weight this up against the fact that at Aerodiamond (Camden) the shorter taxi, holding, and travel (to training area) times will mean more value for the cost of each flight.

RAAF Richmond Flying Club seem really good, although they are only open on Friday arvo and Sat & Sun. Hence, this will mean it will take longer for me to complete the training as I won't be able to do it full-time (2-4 hours a week) as opposed to Schofields and Aerodiamond. Nevertheless, their a/c hire and training rates seem significantly less, so it is making it a hard decision to really split the three schools apart now.

Let you know how I go (especially Tony).

Cheers
Russ
I appreciate the update Russell. My situation is difficult. I work out at Richmond and Live near Mascot. So on days off Bankstown is the most convenient for me. However after work on Fridays Richmond flying club is just there. I was also looking for more of a social aspect as well. A club that conducts flyaways would be cool. I like reading the stories when about 15 or so GA aircraft trek up the coast. Would be good to be a part of that. It is hard to find a club that does flyaways with a nice price tag that comes with it.
Old 31st August 2008, 03:11 PM

Clamback and Hennessy do fly-aways, mostly on demand a few times a year.

www.clahen.com.au

N
Old 31st August 2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W. View Post
Clamback and Hennessy do fly-aways, mostly on demand a few times a year.

www.clahen.com.au

N
Thank nick, ill check it out.

WOW your voice is used on the boeing. Cool. The Hercs use a female voice. They say men tend to listen to the womans voice more when it comes to taking instructions, thats why it is used. Well there are more female aircrew coming through now, i wonder what they prefer, maybe there own voices :P, who knows.

Last edited by Tony G; 31st August 2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 4th September 2008, 02:48 PM

Its a runoff between Schofield's and Aerodiamond (Camden) now. Both seem equally good, although I'm probably more inclined to go Schoies since some of you guys have endorsed them.

Up to the present, I haven't had any first hand endorsements on Aerodiamond or the benefits which would make completing training with them at Camden better than doing it at YSBK (closer to training area and shorter taxi/holding times).

I'm pretty much now considering on the basis of prices, but it looks like I'll be heading to Schoies unless someone from Aerodiamond or first hand experience with Aerodiamond can convince me otherwise.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2008, 09:44 AM

Took a trip down to YSBK Schofields last Saturday to complete my ASIC and SPL application forms and register for membership with Schofields Flying Club.

I must say that I was very impressed with the quality of the facilities at Schoies in comparison to some of the flying schools I've visited during my research (I guess that's why it is a club and not just a school). I was fascinated at how close some of the 152s are parked right next to the patio/decking area, which makes for a great view while relaxing during the summer heat.

I have my first lesson coming up this Saturday, so I'm pretty excited to finally get my training underway (although I have done a TIF before at Aerospace).

At the moment I'm aiming for 2 lessons per week, however, if public transport is trustworthy (and that's a big if), then I hope to get out to YSBK 3-5 times a week.

I've found that to get to YSBK involves catching to buses, the first from Parramatta Station and the second from some terminal stand at some shopping centre. Was just wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether public transport is reliable or is a complete no-go?

cheers