Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2008, 10:15 PM

Default My First Tubroprop Experience: QF1477 SYD - CBR

As you all know, Floraide in Canberra is always awesome and attractive, and I decided to go Canberra for the Floraide. This year they launched a NightFest which makes things even more awesome.

As a member living in Sydney, Canberra is about 4 hours drive from there which is a complete waste of time. Furthermore like me who don't have a driving license, I won't tolerate to wait 3 hours for buses even book trains which runs 2x Daily only.

There are 2 carriers operating bewteen Sydney and Canberra frequently, which are QANTAS CityFlyer and Virgin Blue. Since no free meals would be served on Virgin Blue's flight and no luggage allowance, I decided to take QANTAS CityFlyer, which works for me (and you too mate!)

Flying time is just 30 minutes, which is 7x faster than trains and 9x faster than trains, less tired than you driving there, so just hop on and enjoy the flight and the report!

Flight Information

Operating Airlines and Flight Number: Sunstate Airways SSQ 1477
Codesharing Airlines and Flight Number: Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited QF1477
Origin: SYD - Sydney Kingsford-Smith
Destination: CBR - Canberra International Airport
Date: 26/9/2008 (Friday)
Estimated Departure Time: 1155
Actual Departure Time: 1200
Estimated Arrival Time: 1245
Actual Arrival Time: 1245
Stops: None
Transfers: None
Aircraft: Bombardier Q400
Rego: VH - QOC
Seat: 15B
Seat Class: Discounted Economy - O
QANTAS Frequent Flyer Miles Eligible: 1000
QANTAS Frequent Flyer Status Credits Eligible: 10
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Eligible: 76
Velocity Points Eligible: 0

The first thing to do before depart - Check-in
(Of Course you can do it in the customer service desk inside customs if you don't have checked luggage)

Boarding Pass

A long bag drop queue

The staff at bag drop really catered me well, direct me where to board the flight and advised me the flight would be delayed by 5 minutes.

If you don't feel like booking a ticket, just buy it on the spot!

Have you win?

The First Aircraft of QANTAS - The Spirit of Australia

Flight Indicator

It's time to get through the customs

Let's have a look at our jet engines:

VH-ZXC, having a special mission tonight (7/10/2008) in Western Australia

Old 7th October 2008, 10:15 PM

Time to get to Gate 17

Special Gates for CBR Flights - Gates 16 & 17

CityFlyer: Works For Me

QF1475 for Canberra is now due to depart - Please Stand Clear

Gate 16

VH-OQC

Gate 17
Old 7th October 2008, 10:16 PM

Another Bombardier Q400 is arriving, Please stand behind the Yellow Line.

Ground Staff Directly the Aircraft

QF 738 x2

Legroom on the aircraft

Aircraft Interior

Airbourne

Old 7th October 2008, 10:18 PM

I take QANTAS just for this:

Looks delicious!

After Landing

Exterior of Bombardier Q400

737-400

Another Bombardier Q400

Cross the Road - Back to The Terminal

Comments:
Some of my friends actually feel frightened when they see the Bombardier Q400 aircraft I am taking, think QF need to market their Q400s better to raise public image.

The flight was very stable, with only little tubulance upon take off and landing. The cabin is not so noisy as I expected, even quieter than the jetfoils, but of course nosier than Boeing 737-400s.

Back to the Cabin, Legroom is satisfactory, but seat pitch seems a bit narrow that the passenger in front of me feel difficult travelling on a Q400 as shown. Unfortunately there is no PTV on board, even no Inflight Radio System But an inflight magazine sounds alright.

The food is a bit awful anyway, think Virgin's noodle soup might be better for $6.

Whilst landing, one of the trollies didn't strolled well so some cans of cokes fell from the rear of the cabin and generated really nasty noise

Finally, I hope any QF crew here can help me with this, one of the cabin crew named Krystal on this flight (QF1477, 26/9/2008) is awesome, she is really sweet and polite to passengers, acts friendly. Hope I would get more details and commendate her or more.

That's it for the report. I really hope you'd enjoy it and hope more to come on this board with photos and comments.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:37 AM

You were lucky that you got a Lunch box there, over the holidays on the same route, I got a measly "lemon biscuit" and tiny water.

A really good insight and great read.Would love to read more trip reports on here.
Old 8th October 2008, 05:21 PM

Default Immigration and Customs for Domestic Flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
It's time to get through the customs

As a New South Wales citizen were you required to pre arrange the relevant visa for entry into the Australian Capital Territory or was it issued on arrival in CBR?
Old 8th October 2008, 09:16 PM

Sorry I was trying to say a security screening.

But for a NSW resident, you are required to conduct a quarantine when you enter South Australia or Adelaide Airport, seriously.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:19 PM

you take QF just for the sake of having a muffin and a cup of juice? I'm sure you could by those things in the terminal and go on a jet with DJ
Old 8th October 2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
But for a NSW resident, you are required to conduct a quarantine when you enter South Australia or Adelaide Airport, seriously.
There are some VERY good reasons for Quarantine procedures in some states of Australia, particularly Western Australia.

Protection from various insects and diseases etc is very important for the Agricultural industry's survival and also to decrease the amount of pesticides used in production of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
you take QF just for the sake of having a muffin and a cup of juice? I'm sure you could by those things in the terminal and go on a jet with DJ
QANTAS FF Points and Status Credits, in addition to free luggage allowance also my concern to take QANTAS.

There is 5 more flights to come, the last flight my checked luggage was 32kg.

What a great uni break holiday!

Re: Rhys Thanis

That's why they have a fruit fly quarantine zone in western NSW is that right?
(I am just a study abroad student so don't know much about that, but Australian fruits is really tasty, worth to protect it)

However, I am just wondering whether this is constitutional.

Section 92 of the Australian Constitution states:
Quote:
On the imposition of uniform duties of customs, trade, commerce, and intercourse among the States, whether by means of internal carriage or ocean navigation, shall be absolutely free.

Last edited by Arthur T; 8th October 2008 at 09:50 PM.