Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2008, 10:31 PM

What you just quoted seems to me to be a law regarding tariff's and protection for domestic state industries, nothing to do with quarantine.

You're right on the fruit fly - the bastard could really stuff up Australia's agricultural industry. Its primarily the reason why you can't import fruit into the country.

Laws into WA are very strict - even honey is a banned import.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Finally, I hope any QF crew here can help me with this, one of the cabin crew named Krystal on this flight (QF1477, 26/9/2008) is awesome, she is really sweet and polite to passengers, acts friendly. Hope I would get more details and commendate her or more.
Arthur, it's always good to hear positive things about service. It doesn't surprise me about Krystle. She's a credit to the company (and a talented musician to boot!)

I cannot give you any further details due to respect for her privacy. Suffice to say, if you write a letter addressed to the Cabin Crew Manager Eastern Australia Airlines, PO Box 538 Mascot 2020, it will definitely fall into the right hands. There is only one Krystle in the Cabin Crew ranks.

Regards.
Old 9th October 2008, 05:05 PM

Arrow Free intercourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
I am just wondering whether this is constitutional.

Section 92 of the Australian Constitution states ...
The High Court has said that section 92 of The Constitution does not prevent "reasonable regulation". The States' quarantine regimes have been implemented under that "exeception".

For an article that summarises the latest High Court view on section 92, see http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi...47&context=blr
Old 9th October 2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse View Post
Arthur, it's always good to hear positive things about service. It doesn't surprise me about Krystle. She's a credit to the company (and a talented musician to boot!)

I cannot give you any further details due to respect for her privacy. Suffice to say, if you write a letter addressed to the Cabin Crew Manager Eastern Australia Airlines, PO Box 538 Mascot 2020, it will definitely fall into the right hands. There is only one Krystle in the Cabin Crew ranks.

Regards.
Thanks, but is Eastern Australia Airlines = Sunstate Airlines

My boarding pass said it is operated by Sunstate Airlines.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:48 AM

Smile

Don't go there Arthur. That was an industrial ploy used by QL management to divide & conquer the troops at EAA & SAA

Although your boarding pass states "operated by SAA", these aircraft have been crewed in part by EAA pilots for almost a year. This is because EAA are too tight to spend a penny putting the 400 on the EAA AOC. Because the 400 is only on the SAA AOC all flights use "Sunstate" callsigns. SAA cannot even keep their Canberra crew base fully functional from QLD, such is the industrial turmoil QL (Sydney) management created.

Industrially, both groups of crew are on separate EBA's linked to their employing airline, and answer to different managers in their respective airline.

Krystle is employed by Eastern. Therefore the address I gave you will get the desired result

Last edited by Hugh Jarse; 10th October 2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 24th October 2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
What you just quoted seems to me to be a law regarding tariff's and protection for domestic state industries, nothing to do with quarantine.

You're right on the fruit fly - the bastard could really stuff up Australia's agricultural industry. Its primarily the reason why you can't import fruit into the country.

Laws into WA are very strict - even honey is a banned import.
Am I stupid or has fruitfly been in this country for years?

The first time I saw them was in 1980 when I was managing a pub.

I constantly see them in the house. Especially around he fruitbowl.

I think it's too late.
Old 24th October 2008, 04:11 PM

Fruit Fly is in Australa but SA has border controls to try and keep it out of that state and protect the states fruit crops, especially in the Riverina area near Berri. There is the occasional outbreak, but they usually are able to manage it reasonably well it terms of maintaining afruit fly free environment.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:48 PM

Hugh, any chance Sunstate will ever drop the 'D' from their callsign? SSQ1477 would be so much easier to say than SSQ477D!
Old 26th October 2008, 10:58 PM

Oliver, doubtful in the near future. The 'Delta' is there to alert ATC that it's a Q400, and therefore it's a higher wake turbulence category than the 300's, 200's and 100's, requiring different seperation standards.

Cheers

Mick
Old 26th October 2008, 11:17 PM

I know, but as an ATC, I can tell you it's annoying and difficult to say! Personally I don't think it's needed, but I suppose not everyone would agree.