Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2008, 12:30 AM

Default Photo Trip Report: SYD-NAN-SUV rtn.

Hi Everyone,

Well as promised, here is a trip report of my recent trip to Fiji. I went to attend my cousin's wedding as I was the photographer and camera-man, so it wasn't all fun and relaxation (heck, there was no relaxation come to think of it!). I was gone for only 5 days, but nice to go back to my home country, and this was my first opportunity to use my new DSLR (still learning) on a flight.

Hope you all enjoy the photos.

First Flight
Date: Wednesday, October 15th, 2008
Flight: Pacific Blue - DJ155
Route: SYD-NAN
Aircraft Type: Boeing 737-800
Aircraft Rego: ZK-PBK (Delivered less than 3 months ago)

Well this was my first flight on Virgin/Pacific/Polynesia Blue so that made things a tad more interesting as I was curious to see how the experience would stack up against my QF and NZ experiences. Didn't start off too well with boarding being about 20minutes late as the aircraft had been delayed arriving from AKL. From there things got better as I realised that we would be walking on the tarmac and climbing the stairs to board the plane (lot more fun doing that than just walking down the aerobridge!). Once I had taken my seat I was met with a shocking sight. At the time of boarding I had requested a window seat which was kindly given (Seat 10A), but just as I got comfy in my seat I realised that there was no window at seat 10A (one of those stupid window-less rows). After taking a look around the cabin to see if there were any empty window seats, I lucky spotted a vacant window seat just a few aisles on the other side of the plane. You can't imagine the big smile and great feeling of relief and excitement as I acquainted myself with my new seat and window.
Soon enough we pushed-back and were on our way. We taxiied our way to the holding position at the top of runway 16R, and after waiting for an EK 77W to touch down we were on our way to NAN (Nadi - Fiji's major international airport). The flight to NAN was uneventful with cloud-cover dominating the view out my treasured window. I opted to purchase the digEplayer as I'm not much of a sleeper or reader when it comes to flying (after doing countless SYD-LAX/SFO trips in recent years, having a PTV has become somewhat of a habit). The system itself is pretty good with a good range of movies, TV shows, and music options (AU$15). It's very similar to JQ's portable IFE which I had used last December on my trip to HNL. In terms of food, well I had a nice meal prior to boarding, but I purchased a Chocolate Muffin for AU$3..and oh what a tasty muffin it was!!
Touchdown in NAN was nice and easy, though the only let down was that we got off the plane through an aerobridge, but NAN is a fairly open aircraft, so I was able to get a few shots of our aircraft on my way to the Immigrations queue. Immigration was quick and easy and then a quick stop for some Duty Free shopping before heading over to the Domestic check-in area for our NAN-SUV (Nadi to Suva, though SUV actually isn't located in Suva, it's located in Nausori which is about a 20min drive from Suva).

Well, enough talking for now, here are the photos of my SYD-NAN-SUV leg of my trip.

Outside the SYD International Terminal at 5.10am

Taking a quick snapshot from the tarmac just prior to boarding

Close-up of one of the 737s engines. Too bad there wasn't a 77W nearby to compare engine sizes
Old 25th October 2008, 12:31 AM

Taking one-handed photos with a DSLR as your holding a heavy carry-on bag in the other hand and trying to climb up a set of steps ain't easy, though this photo makes it look oh so easy!

Ah yes, the joys of a window seat! Malaysia Airlines 744 burnin' some rubber on arrival

Another big grin on my face when I saw EK's beautiful 777-300ER touching down! Oh how I love to see 77Ws!

Up, up and away off 16R with a nice view. Damn overcast conditions made things difficult and dull.

Much better! Clearing the clouds suddenly makes things a whole lot brighter. That's a Pacific Blue-Sky right there.

A bit of a close-up of the 738's winglet. Pity that DJ don't put some logo or titles on the inside of the winglet. Ah well, great looking winglet nonetheless!
Old 25th October 2008, 12:32 AM

Quick shot from my seat of the Pac' Blue cabin. Nothing special, but then again it never is in Economy (unless of course you're flying Virgin America )

Pacific Blue's digEplayer with complimentary earphones (when I say complimentary, I mean they're included in the AU$15 price).

On approach to NAN with a beautiful view of the coastline (and to think I would have missed all this had I not changed to a window seat!)

Another shot of the beautiful scenery that greets you on arrival to Fiji.

Just a minute from touching down as we cruise over the Nadi countryside with imposing clouds lingering

Nearly there....

Finally coming to a stop at NAN with the sun providing a warm (and very humid) welcome. Pity NAN isn't as busy as it once used to be.

There's our aero-chariot soaking up the sun after its dash across the Pacific (well a third of it anyway).

One of Pacific Sun's ATR42-500's also soaking up the sun on the NAN tarmac. In the background you can see DJ154 (same aircraft that flew us to Fiji) ready to head back to SYD.
Old 25th October 2008, 12:33 AM

Just about to line-up on our designation runway before getting on our way to SUV. Did I mention I like sitting close to the engines of an aircraft?

Taking-off from NAN with a mighty long 25minute flight ahead of us. (This superseded FAT-LAS as my shortest flight)

And to think that eventhough it's only a 30minute flight, Pacific Sun still offers a complimentary O.J. and refreshing face towel.

We passed some big clouds on our way to SUV which made for some fascinating photos.

On final approach to SUV as we clear the Rewa River at Nausori. Smooth approach and landing.

As we waiting for our bags to arrive, I took a quick photo of Air Fiji's Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante
Old 25th October 2008, 12:34 AM

I won't bable on about my experience for the return flights to SYD as it was pretty much the same thing. Just one quick heads-up though, if you ever do fly Pac' Blue, don't waste your AU$7 on the Chicken Wrap, it's totally bland and tasteless (this coming from a person who actually finds airline food tasty!). Buy 2 muffins instead or the Chicken Noodles.

Here are the photos for the return leg: SUV-NAN-SYD

While waiting for our Pacific Sun ATR to arrive, I got to see another Pac' Sun aircraft: De Havilland Canada DHC-6-310 Twin Otter

And there's our plane which will take us to NAN. This was the same aircraft that I flew 5 days earlier (DQ-PSB).Gotta love the Air Pacific/Pacific Sun colourful livery.

Under-wing shot! Did I mention that I love boarding an aircraft from the tarmac? Wish we could do this when boarding a 777 or 747!!

Just about to climb aboard the aircraft. Nice weather...nice flight.

Taxiing on our way out of SUV..farming land around the airport with a cow enjoying the sights and sounds.
Old 25th October 2008, 12:35 AM

Gaining some speed down the runway with the very small SUV terminal in full view.

Climbing out of SUV with patchy cloud cover providing more impressive views

Shot of the cabin from the second-last row. Full flight this time around.

On approach to NAN with the mountain scenery in full view. Had a bit of fun riding through some turbulence on approach (though it made taking level photos a challenge!)

Another shot of DQ-PBS after arriving in NAN. Finally some bright sunshine to really highlight the vibrant livery.

Since DQ-PBS served me so well twice, I took another shot of her sunbathing at NAN.

Pacific Blue's ZK-PBJ operated our DJ154 flight to SYD. Taken just prior to boarding.

Taking-off from NAN with another great countryside scenery.

Why the suprised look?...this is Fiji.. a tropical island in the Pacific. GREAT view..needless to say I snapped one photo after another of these little islands!
Old 25th October 2008, 12:36 AM

Not the best quality, but it was still an impressive and fascinating sight.

I told ya I took shot after shot! Lord of the Flies anybody?

Should we call this a "mushroom" cloud, or a "D/SLR camera lens" cloud?

Another shot of the digEplayer, this time with the Choc' Muffin and Chicken Wrap in view. I don't recommend the Wrap, but definitely recommend the Muffin!!

Very poor quality I know, but I had to include this as we flew right over this beautiful sight about an hour or so out of SYD. (I hate it when the window gets dirty!! )

More vibrant blue sky.. this time as we get closer to SYD. This was the proverbial 'calm before the storm'.

Here's the beginning of the storm which forced us into a holding pattern. Quite an amazing sight! The rain looks like a giant tree rising from the sea!
Old 25th October 2008, 12:37 AM

And some more rain 'curtains' as I like to call them. The photo isn't all that clear, but you can see the Sydney shoreline in the distance behind, while a freight-ship does an S-maneuver waiting for the heavy rain to pass by.

On final approach to 34R. Still trying to figure out the camera, hence the blurry scenery.

Back on Aussie soil after touching down on 34R with reversers deployed!

JetStar's albino A332 sitting alongside a QF A330. Poor quality again due to poor lighting.

A visit to SYD just isn't complete without taking a photo of a 77W. On the way to Fiji it was EK, on the way back it's SQ. Gorgeous aircraft, crap lighting!!

Very quickly turned on the flash and got this beauty of a shot!

The benefit of being one of the last people off the plane. Aircraft is: ZK-PBJ

Well there ya have it folks, that was my trip to Fiji. I hope you all enjoyed this trip report as much as I enjoyed these 4 flights in 5 days!

Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 25th October 2008, 09:01 AM

What a fantastic photo trip report. Thanks so much for sharing Shameel
Old 25th October 2008, 09:46 AM

Yeah top report Shameel. All of the photos have such great colour from the bright water and green sceanery! Well done mate.

Tim