Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th January 2009, 07:53 AM

I completely understand that these check-in people have to deal with the same thing over and over, and after a long day at work it can get quite tedious. But sometimes they can give passengers an excuse to get worked up.

As a private pilot, I understand issues with weight and other rules and reg's that go with flying.

Last week, there were 3 of us flying back out of MEL with JQ on the last flight of the day. We had 3 bags and a set of golf clubs to check in. 2 of the bags were close to the 20KG mark, 1 a few grams over and the other a few under, can't remember exact numbers, but it might have been a couple of grams over the 40KG for both.

The lady at the check-in counter didn't, lets say, have the greatest look on her face when we first got up to the counter to check-in. But as we always do, we try to be friendly and nice because we know what they sometimes have to put up with.

So when I put my bag down and advised there was a golf bag that needed to go as well, she asked to have them both on to weight, which was fine. In total they were 23KG. They lady advised that we would have to pay excess baggage for the 3 KG. When I advised that I didn't have any carry-on bags and all I was carrying was a newspaper to read on the flight, she proceeded to advise me that if I wanted to take the 3KG out the bags and carry it on then that was fine.

Now that is enough to drive any passenger mad!

I wasn't in the mood for having an argument and I've had my fair share of let off's with excess baggage, so I just paid the measly $30 and got on with it.

So sometimes check-in staff can attract the abuse themselves.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:57 AM

Ahmet,

Three kgs is 3 kgs, its not like you are missing out by a couple of hundred grams. At least she gave you the suggestion to take 3 kgs on board as carry on, to avoid the fee.

No issue here.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmet H View Post
I completely understand that these check-in people have to deal with the same thing over and over, and after a long day at work it can get quite tedious. But sometimes they can give passengers an excuse to get worked up.

As a private pilot, I understand issues with weight and other rules and reg's that go with flying.

Last week, there were 3 of us flying back out of MEL with JQ on the last flight of the day. We had 3 bags and a set of golf clubs to check in. 2 of the bags were close to the 20KG mark, 1 a few grams over and the other a few under, can't remember exact numbers, but it might have been a couple of grams over the 40KG for both.

The lady at the check-in counter didn't, lets say, have the greatest look on her face when we first got up to the counter to check-in. But as we always do, we try to be friendly and nice because we know what they sometimes have to put up with.

So when I put my bag down and advised there was a golf bag that needed to go as well, she asked to have them both on to weight, which was fine. In total they were 23KG. They lady advised that we would have to pay excess baggage for the 3 KG. When I advised that I didn't have any carry-on bags and all I was carrying was a newspaper to read on the flight, she proceeded to advise me that if I wanted to take the 3KG out the bags and carry it on then that was fine.

Now that is enough to drive any passenger mad!

I wasn't in the mood for having an argument and I've had my fair share of let off's with excess baggage, so I just paid the measly $30 and got on with it.

So sometimes check-in staff can attract the abuse themselves.
Its there policy to charge excess over 20Kgs, for Tiger you would have been 8kgs over and with Virgin you wouldnt have paid anything.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Ahmet,

Three kgs is 3 kgs, its not like you are missing out by a couple of hundred grams. At least she gave you the suggestion to take 3 kgs on board as carry on, to avoid the fee.

No issue here.
Quote:
Its there policy to charge excess over 20Kgs, for Tiger you would have been 8kgs over and with Virgin you wouldnt have paid anything.
Yes I understand, and that's why I just paid the $30. But if all I was carrying on to the plane was a newspaper, a little bit of lenience goes a long way.

If I took the 3KG out of the bag, it was still going to be on the plane anyway, and JQ were going to be $30 less off.

It's just common sence!
Old 19th January 2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmet H View Post
Yes I understand, and that's why I just paid the $30. But if all I was carrying on to the plane was a newspaper, a little bit of lenience goes a long way.

If I took the 3KG out of the bag, it was still going to be on the plane anyway, and JQ were going to be $30 less off.

It's just common sence!
So you made the call to pay the $30 you were given a choice by the check in agent.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
So you made the call to pay the $30 you were given a choice by the check in agent.
It was easier to pay the $30 than try to find things in the bag that equalled 3KG to take out.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:17 PM

I had a similar experience in Orlando last year - we'd collected mountains of bloody brochures and paperwork on the trip and my checked luggage had slipped about 6lbs over AA's 50lb allowance.

The check-in attendant suggested I take out a few pounds to get it under the allowance, so I fumbled around and squeezed as much of it as I could into my camera backpack - lucky she didn't weigh that becuse it would've been WAYY over the 15lb limit for carry-ons!
Old 19th January 2009, 12:39 PM

try travelling on an international flight/Domestic sector with carry on luggage.7 KG any more over they will not let you carry it on even camera gear.I had to take out my heaviest camera and large lens place it around my neck to get thru the entrance where the security guard sits with a set of scales.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:53 PM

Rules are rules.
Old 19th January 2009, 02:15 PM

If any more than 7kg falls on your head from even a small distance (say someone opens an overhead compartment and the bag falls) - it can cause serious head injuries, especially to children etc.

As for the JQ incident. Bag weights are entered into the system for Load and Trim purposes and thus can be "varied" for the sake of a few kgs here and there. These numbers are sometimes audited and thus could impact a staff members job if it's proven they have been fudging the figures, despite even if it is for the good will of a passenger.