Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2010, 02:05 PM

Default Flying with Emirates - Tips?

Hi All,

The fiancé and I are heading to Egypt next month and while I thought we were flying with Etihad (flown with them before, no probs there) the travel company have let me know that for a little more money we can go with Emirates instead and cut down our 10+ hr stopover in Abu Dhabi to about 2-3 hrs in Dubai. No problem with any of that, particularly since I'll finally get to fly an A380 somewhere as well!

But I was after some info, reviews etc from people who've flown with Emirates. I always hear good stuff about them (it'll be good to do a comparison against Etihad).

Is there any way to guarantee a window seat for us? Should I join up to Skywards for preferential seating? It doesn't look like we'll be bored on the flight with the range of IFE available etc. I've seen how the seats look, but are they comfortable?

What are the best seats for photo/videography on the A380?

Any other tips and tricks would be great

Cheers,

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 22nd April 2010, 02:14 PM

I flew Emirates A380 back from Auckland to Sydney last year and they were great. Admittedly it's only a short flight but the service was excellent and we still got served a five course meal in economy in the short time we were with them. We had our IFE system fail in the area we were sitting but they rebooted it fairly quickly.
You don't have to join skywards to manage your seat request...you can do it from the website after you've made the booking. Then again, why wouldn't you join up and pick up the frequent flyer miles? You do however have to fly four legs with emirates before they'll issue you with a card...otherwise they just issue you with a number to use for bookings.
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:27 PM

My one tip would be to enjoy the best airline in the world!

Sydney Aviation Shop
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:56 PM

One of the Best to fly with, you won't be disappointed.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 22nd April 2010, 04:53 PM

Yup..ditto to all above comments.
Flew SYD - AKL - SYD in biz a few years back and could not fault them at all.

Enjoy your trip and Emirates experience. Tell us about it when you get back
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:02 PM

Flight tips as above.

Transitting Dubai for two or three hours? Head for the exit as the Emirates terminals aren't that great.

The customs/immigration guys won't hassle you, you get a UAE stamp in your passport and get to stretch your legs in the fresh (?) air, whilst having a smoke (if that is your vice) and witnessing the fun at the taxi rank.

The smoking room in T2 is gross, don't even go there, as a smoker i opened the door and even I was disgusted. Smoking is permitted in the Irish pub, but the beer is expensive at 42 dhm's.

Anthony T
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:47 PM

Hi Dan,

I am a frequent flyer with 102,547 miles to burn with EK, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the service and entertainment, Airline is great all around, you will get the odd 1 or 2 cranky flight attendants but who isn't.

Regards,
Sarmad.
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:28 PM

If you have your EK booking number from your travel agent, you should be able to log into the Emirates website months in advance and select your preferred seat allocation. I did so a few months in advance when I flew to Europe last year and come e-checkin time, my preferred seat was allocated to me. I can highly recommend getting this done somehow as it was a godsend for a tall person like me, I was able to snag the window seat in the row immediately behind an emergency exit on the A380, there are only two seats in front of this and the window seat I chose has no seat in front. Maximum leg room. You'll see what I'm on about if you look at a seat map.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:13 AM

Guys - I really want to take my son on an A380, so think maybe a quick EK SYD-AKL-SYD trip would be perfect.

I don't care what day of the week or when, but would like to grab a reasonably sparse flight if possible.

My son Sam has CP but can walk around without his wheelchair once on board and I'd like to make the flight truly about him.

Do you have any ideas of cost or if a special is coming up (any time in the next few months)? I've searched the EK site, but can't seem to match a flight with a date at a good price.

Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 11:37 AM

Default Emirates to AUCKLAND

Well at the Moment you would be looking at around 422.80 Return plus any fees.