Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2011, 01:09 PM

Adelaide nice, good for spotting from inside terminal, lacks shops and stuff-due to high rent charges. Boring inside compared to Sydney. When new carpark is finished I heard some extra shops will be added as you walk from carpark to terminal. Long walk to REX end, and also to the eastern end too. Asides that it is nice I must say I miss the old terminal, from a nostalgic viewpoint.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:39 AM

Launceston.... just thought I would put it out there
Old 1st May 2011, 11:46 AM

Melbourne, Virgin (insert whatever here) domestic up past Gate 10 when 16 is in use.
Old 1st May 2011, 07:35 PM

For me (and not because I'm a local) its Adelaide. For spotters its excellent although the airline variety is a bit limited, maybe thats why we go a bit crazy when there is a diversion or an A380 test flight. It will be great to see if proposed new operators eventuate (EK, GA, D7). We may even get to see the odd VA/DJ A330 if their is a diversion! Just need the Govt to remove the curfew.

The airport itself is in very close proximity to the CBD which makes for a quick trip. While the current short term car parking arrangements are ridiculous the new multi level car park which is now being built will be a great addition as will the new airport hotel.

I have flown a number of times out of ADL internationally and the current set up with Customs / Immigration and Gate assignments always seems to work well together. The so called transparent screens are actually heavy glass doors which allow airport staff to restrict access to the central gates on the concourse to international flights. From a spotters perspective you still have good views of any international aircraft and also allows persons seeing off departing passengers to virtually see them until they actually board the aircraft due to the style of air bridges.

Long stay aircraft such as MH which arrive at 0630 but do not depart until 1530 are towed away after arrival to a stand adjacent to the long term car park (old airport location). This allows the airport to open central gates to domestic flights over the lunch time period. Seems to work effortlessly.

Regionally I love the hassle free Sunshine Coast airport at Maroochydore (MCY).