Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2009, 02:34 PM

Default JQ Flight Attendent "Hunted Down Passenger"

Quote:
Flight attendant 'hunted down teenager'

A MALE flight attendant is being investigated by Jetstar over allegations he contacted a teenage girl on Facebook using details from passenger records.

The Jetstar attendant sent the 15-year-old girl several messages via the social media website after a flight from the Sunshine Coast to Melbourne last month, reports the ABC.

The girl did not give him her name but within hours of the flight landing in Melbourne the man had added her to his Facebook page and sent her several friend requests, the girl's mother says.

The woman, who was on the flight with the 15-year-old and another daughter, is reported to have complained to the airline about the breach of privacy.

“He's accessing the names of passengers, particularly my daughters who are underage, and then he's using that information to contact them. I find that really disturbing,” she told ABC radio's AM program.

The mother says the flight attendant still sends her daughter messages asking why she hasn’t added him as a friend.

“She started to get a little concerned – she was saying ‘Does he know where we live?’.

“She was a little bit disturbed by it, and a little worried about what might happen to her.”

The woman told the ABC she is concerned about other vulnerable young passengers.

“I am just worried about - particularly during the school holidays with teenagers flying all over the country on their own - that maybe there's been some impressionable girls who have said ‘an older flight attendant, we'll add him’”.

“And I don't know where he's going with this, you know. If the girls had added him, would he then say, 'let's meet?'”

A Jetstar spokesman said the airline is investigating the complaint.

“Jetstar management are expeditiously looking into the matter at question,” Jetstar spokesman, Simon Westaway, said.

“We are viewing the allegations as serious but it’s important that we get all the information together and ensure that we're dealing with the facts of the matter.”

Jetstar will interview the flight attendant today.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html
That's terrible. How can passenger's privacy be that easily be invaded even for flight attendant to date through adding the other on Facebook? Then next time if I have to protect my privacy should I use the other names to book on my JetStar flights so that flight attendants won't be able to add me on Facebook or use my name for other unintentional use?

I hope Jetstar can launch a formal investigation and take suitable compensation to that teenage girl also take displinary action against that cabin crew.

Anyway, perhaps if you want to keep your privacy, you can fly Qantas instead of JetStar next time?
Old 7th October 2009, 02:49 PM

expect we only have half the story so far

will be interesting when the whole story comes out, maybe the girl gave the bloke her contact details, but refuses to confirm this to her mum

time will tell
Old 7th October 2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Doubt it Andrew, all he would have had to of done was seen what seat she was in and got the name through the JQ check in system the name of the person sitting in that seat.
Old 7th October 2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
Will be interesting when the whole story comes out, maybe the girl gave the bloke her contact details, but refuses to confirm this to her mum

time will tell
Thats what I was thinking...
Old 7th October 2009, 03:16 PM

The media only have one side of the story. Let Jetstar hear the other side and deal with it whatever happened.
Old 7th October 2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
Thats what I was thinking...
Ditto
Old 7th October 2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Used a boarding pass so it seems, ohh but hes a great employee.............discraceful and should be sacked.

Last edited by Marty H; 7th October 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 7th October 2009, 05:15 PM

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? The first line of the story says it all: "...is being investigated...".
Old 7th October 2009, 07:50 PM

Even if the news report is accurate, how would flying another airline prevent this from happening?
Old 7th October 2009, 10:05 PM
Lukas M

Methinks there will be a confidential settlement reached and perhaps a newly unemployed FA