Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2015, 05:01 PM

From a pax perspective I have only seen improvements over the last 2yrs or so...

*B744s upgraded to A380 standard interiors
*Numerous new lounges, with more to come BNE/AKL
*New A330 interiors
*New B737 interiors on the way
*New international dining and meals
*Enhanced meals and increased meal times on domestic
*More IFE movies and content
Old 1st March 2015, 02:02 PM

Still glad I quit when I did just before he gave away so much to EK. I know what will happen now they have made a bit of money. Lots of dead wood that got redundancies will be back through the revolving door on higher money. Seen it heaps of times during my time there.
Old 1st March 2015, 02:13 PM

What did they give to EK? Yeah a few routes to Europe. Hardly so much. Qantas's future is in Asia/Pacific, not Europe. There is no/little money to be made in that part of the world for an airline like Qantas.

Now they have restructured and turned the fortunes around, now is the time to be looking at expanding point to point flying in Asia.

The 787's would be ideal to start some small volume Australia-Asia flying with a cost base that would, in the past have not made it profitable. A good start would be Perth-Singapore, and then some routes into China, Korea etc and just leave Europe to the likes of SQ and the middle eastern hub carriers.
Old 1st March 2015, 04:54 PM

QF have actually expanded over the last 12 months with extra LAX, SCL, HNL, ZQN and new daily BNE-NRT.

Plus added plenty of extra seasonal AKL, NRT, HKG, and now YVR.

Still strong talk of PER-SIN-PER being re added.
Old 1st March 2015, 09:15 PM

PER SIN with a 738 I tink I read somewhere. That'll really take off against the SQ 772.
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:09 AM

So what's the solution then? Run an A330 1/3 empty?
Old 2nd March 2015, 03:35 AM

James - QF DID propose a plan to operate the B738 to SIN but scraped it.
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
PER SIN with a 738 I think I read somewhere. That'll really take off against the SQ 772.
What is wrong with a newer B738. It has IFE, it has a nice interior. It is only a short flight. No different to flying across the country really.

It is just as competitive, and many QF FF's will be happy to be able to return to QF metal again.

And don't forget - price is also king...

Old 3rd March 2015, 11:02 AM

I agree Thomas. At just over 5 hours it's not that much further than most of the east coast to PER and a lot of flights to DRW.

For QF to fly PER-SIN it has to compete with Asian carriers which have much lower labour costs. Using a 73H, starting with a single daily return and building up over time, reduces their risk and allows them to keep the 'better' A330 product on routes where they're more competitive, i.e. domestic and Asia-ex-east-coast. And, as Thomas points out, QFFs will take the 73H just to get back on QF.
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:52 PM

The issue with competing with Asian carriers isn't so much the labor cost, but where those carriers can take them. Compared to Qantas where a PER-SIN flight can only really take people to Singapore plus a few minor codeshares or Jetstar flights.

But if we look at similar length flights in the US and Europe, where point to point flying is much more common. What do you see, yep flights 5 hours in length flying point to point being operated by 737's and A320's. With a splattering of wides bodies.