Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2010, 09:13 AM

My other arm

PS Get back to work.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
And many years ago it was a wide open paddock with nothing in it, so spotting there wasn't an issue.
It still is a wide open paddock but it now has nice big hills on it that you get great photos from.
Old 16th May 2010, 10:23 AM
Prolific Member

It's also a leased construction compound on private property, so by entering you are trespassing and putting even more unwanted attention on your hobby.

It seems some people just don't get it. Even Blind Freddy could see that while you guys keep out of the spotlight by just enjoying your hobby without destroying/damaging/trespassing on property, you'll be left alone by the authorities to keep on enjoying your hobby. Unfortunately though, it seems the selfish wants of a few will end up ruining it all for many.
Old 16th May 2010, 04:00 PM

Who doesn't get it? And do you happen to know who those few who will end up ruining it might be?

I agree it would be a huge shame...
Old 16th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Prolific Member

Well, have a look at Ray's last post. The issue of the Radar Field being a no go zone has been discussed here numerous times, yet Ray goes and effectively advertises it as still being a great spot to be. Yep, sure, the hills may give a good view, but I'm sure the top of the TAR (radar) does too...it doesn't mean you're allowed up there. In the good old days, that field was accessible and spotting wasn't an issue, but for the umpteenth time, things have changed. Don't go in there.

I used to know many of the spotters on the fenceline, and would regularly let the sirens and horn rip when driving past the people I knew as I did my rounds. I'd often stop and have a chat to them, and would slowly get introduced to other spotters. These days I recognise a few, like old Merv (don't tell him I said he was old...) and get the odd text message from others who I'll try to stop for and have a chat. I often stop at the Tower beach viewing area in the afternoons to update my shift log, but the public and spotters aren't as keen to say hello anymore.
As to who's likely to be stupid and selfish enough to push the authorities or land owners to restrict access, I don't know. I don't spend my days looking at the fence line or who's beyond it. I presume you're a regular spotter, so you or anyone else who's a regular would have more of an idea than me these days.

Cheers
Old 16th May 2010, 07:34 PM

I hear what you're saying Nigel, and appreciate what you are saying more than you might think. Bottom line is I'm relatively new to spotting and spend more time at the mound than anywhere else. Personally I think it's the best place for spotting in the country, beats Brisbane, Melb, and Adelaide anyway!

But, if I was to take a drive around and find other places, how would I know where it's permissible or not without definite signage? I know there are signs on the perimeter fence but other than that...? I have been questioned before by a security guy while sitting in my car next to the stand-off bays near the old Gate 20, and had enquiring looks from some while parked at the end of Rwy 16L/34R, but that's about it. I've seen guys follow the fenceline on foot from the mound, squeeze past the trees and start photograping from near the GHD tunnel but, knowing the 3 metre rule, I have not been tempted.

Now, I've heard mention of this radar field before on this forum, and have seen photos purportedly taken from it on another, but without knowing where it is or how to get there, how can I know that it is out of bounds? Especially if it is not sign posted? And if it is clearly signposted, I understand and share your frustration with others flouting the rules.
Old 16th May 2010, 08:44 PM
Prolific Member

Common sense should prevail. There is a fairly prominant sign at the start of the road that leads to Gate 16 and the Radar Field that clearly states that parking beyond that point is not permitted, and if that doesn't stop you then the construction compounds near the fire station should be a fairly big hint that perhaps you shouldn't be there. If the gates are left open, they usually aren't for the benefit of Joe Public.

Quote:
I have been questioned before by a security guy while sitting in my car next to the stand-off bays near the old Gate 20 probably just checking a)you're not suspicious, and b)not many people go there in comparison, and had enquiring looks from some while parked at the end of Rwy 16L/34Ragain, comparitively few people go thewre to spot. I note you said "end" of 16L/34R...go any further round towards the fire station and you're likely to be moved on. Remember the sign at the start of the road was probably right in front of where you were that day, but that's about it. I've seen guys follow the fenceline on foot from the mound, squeeze past the trees and start photograping from near the GHD tunnel but, knowing the 3 metre rule, I have not been tempted. They would probably get 'called in' by security for an extra look because it's not a 'usual' spot. It should also raise eyebrows from people driving along GHD if they see people on ladders at the fence line, so I wouldn't be surprised if the AFP/State Police get called
Old 17th May 2010, 12:21 AM

What's the going rate to photograph on the airside now Nigel?

It really is the only way to shoot landings on 34 Left, legally.

The way I see it, at the moment it's a finely balanced situation -

The authorities can at any time kill off planespotting and photography at Sydney and use aviation security as justification.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:23 AM
Prolific Member

My pockets are deep and will take a lot of filling...
Old 17th May 2010, 01:09 AM

Funny 'bout that - I heard that your pockets are deep and your arms are short!