Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2015, 07:24 PM

Default QF B738 struck by lightning, possibly on approach YMML

All;

I am pax tonight on QF492, and we were just informed of a gate & a/c change due to the inbound flight being hit by lightning. I assume this is on approach to YMML and not out of YSSY as I would expect a Fuel Dump and return to origin if close enough, or possibly to an alternate.

I was able to see the engineering team looking over the a/c and they seemed to be showing considerable concern around the Radio Altimeter area on the underside of the fuselage.

Did no take too much notice of the inbound flight number or rego, but it was at gate 3. Obviously if any informatuion is forthcoming from members, that would be great.
Old 20th November 2015, 07:38 PM

The B737 cannot dump fuel.
Old 20th November 2015, 07:40 PM

VH-VXE QF833 from CBR.

Flightradar24 feeder (F-YSWG1 & T-YSWG2)
FlightAware feeder (YSWG/6482)
Old 20th November 2015, 07:41 PM

Unless severe damage has been sustained from the strike, then a lightning strike wouldn't normally be a good enough reason to "dump fuel" (keep in mind that most domestic aircraft don't have this capability and even if they did, for such a short flight, it is very unlikely to be over maximum landing weight for very long, if at all) and return for a landing.

Plus today in Sydney the weather was just a case of severe CAVOK and stinking hot.

So I assume it was on approach to Melbourne.

Mick
Old 20th November 2015, 08:04 PM

A lightning strike isnt a serious event, in all honesty its about as common as a go around...happens all the time.

Although it isnt a serious occurence the aircraft will be grounded for an inspection looking for the entry and exit points and ensuring the aircraft has not sustained major damage.

The only time you will see an aircraft return to POI is when the aircraft is not going somewhere with engineering coverage...so a regional port, etc.
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 20th November 2015, 08:37 PM

"Severe CAVOK & stinking hot" here in Canberra, too. Must have been on the way into MEL.

As the other guys have said, most lightning strikes are no big deal, just require an inspection to see where the strike went in & out and make sure nothing has been damaged (aerials, masts, etc). Reason for equipment swap was probably just so that the inspection didn't delay your flight, especially as it's to SYD.
Old 21st November 2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.M View Post
VH-VXE QF833 from CBR.
Cheers Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan McKeever View Post
As the other guys have said, most lightning strikes are no big deal, just require an inspection to see where the strike went in & out and make sure nothing has been damaged (aerials, masts, etc). Reason for equipment swap was probably just so that the inspection didn't delay your flight, especially as it's to SYD.
Probably was the case, but they had about 6 guys under the fuselage and another 4 discussing nearby. They were looking pretty hard around the radio altis and VHF antenna.

Ended up not mattering that much, a 15 min delay to move to the other plane took 25 mins, and gate staff decided to only board with one scanner instead of two which slowed boarding badly. On top of all that, after pushback two passengers decided they wanted to get off. Cabin crew talked to company to get clearance to do so, and the A/C went back to gate 10 to drop the passengers and also pull the bag.

Cabin crew did a really good and professional job during and after the passenger disembarkation, especially diffusing customer comments during the security protocols afterwards. One guy (older, late 50's businessman) made a smartarse comment referencing one of the disembarking passenger's ethnicity (he was subcontinental/south asian) and I was about to launch into him for it, when the attendant turned around and said very loudly and pointedly so all could hear "It's a routine check for things that those passengers may have left behind. Why, do YOU feel uncomfortable?". That shut him up quickly.

Got in with around 10 mins to spare before curfew, and then we stood on bravo for 5 minutes waiting for a tug to get another A/C into the maintenance hangar so we could park at gate 1.

One of the more interesting trips I have had in recent times. I did thank the cabin crew team leader for the entire crew's professional handling of the situation. She smiled and thanked me for my comment - she had been copping it all flight. If anyone from company gets to read this, my commendation goes to all of them.