Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2009, 08:06 AM

Default Emirates Unhappy with first 4 A380's

From http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...009000,00.html

Quote:
DUBAI-BASED airline Emirates is unhappy with its first four giant Airbus A380 aircraft, which showed manufacturing faults that forced flights to be cancelled, a report said on Saturday.
The German weekly Der Spiegel, in its issue to be published on Monday, said Emirates in February gave Airbus officials a 46-page report listing its complaints, including burned electric cables, missing cabin fittings and engine defects.

A source close to Airbus told AFP on Thursday Emirates was seeking a delay in the delivery of several of the long-haul A380 superjumbo jets because of financing difficulties.

The airline is Airbus's biggest customer for the double-decker A380, having ordered 58 of them.

"Emirates could delay deliveries on several planes ... They are in talks" with Airbus, the source said on condition of anonymity.

Emirates "is beginning to have problems for the first time. We always relied on this type of company as a major stable client," the source said.

A spokeswoman for Airbus said discussions with clients were confidential.

And in Dubai an Emirates spokesperson said: "We had a routine meeting with Airbus to discuss aircraft delivery positions down the line. Like all airlines, Emirates continues to assess all options for its fleet and route operations."

Launching of the A380, which entered service with Singapore Airlines in October 2007, was delayed for months because of cabling problems and Airbus has failed to meet delivery schedules since.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:43 AM

Not a surprise to me. Ever since they ordered 58 I struggled to think how they could fill that much more than anyone else. Even before the current climate.
Old 15th March 2009, 02:48 PM

even 20 A380's for Qantas seems a bit much to me.....

Wouldn't 777-300ER's have been a better choice for QF?
Old 15th March 2009, 03:53 PM

I think quite simply the airlines didn't see the economy going south in the manner it has & they imagined everyone would be flying everywhere & that they would need the capacity. I bet Virgin Atlantic are glad they deferred their order!
Old 15th March 2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brownbill View Post
even 20 A380's for Qantas seems a bit much to me.....

Wouldn't 777-300ER's have been a better choice for QF?
They wanted the capacity and the room the A380 could offer. A 777 does not even come close in terms of capacity.
Old 16th March 2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Not when you are replacing 744 metal. Plus it makes sense to use higher capacity equipment in slot controlled ports where capacity is already at its peak i.e. LHR...
Just where are QF using their 380s so far?
Old 16th March 2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Just where are QF using their 380s so far?
SYD-LHR 3 times a week plus MEL and SYD to LAX.

So whats the point of your Q?
Old 16th March 2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
SYD-LHR 3 times a week plus MEL and SYD to LAX.

So whats the point of your Q?

Thanks for asking. I knew QF were using the 380 to LAX (but not LHR) which to me seemed they straying somewhat from the original restricted hub strategy to more a competitive startegy using the perceived pax space of the 380 to defend the lucrative Pacific route against V Australia.

Nothing sinister.

What days are they flying SYD-LHR?
Old 16th March 2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Thanks for asking. I knew QF were using the 380 to LAX (but not LHR) which to me seemed they straying somewhat from the original restricted hub strategy to more a competitive startegy using the perceived pax space of the 380 to defend the lucrative Pacific route against V Australia.

Nothing sinister.

What days are they flying SYD-LHR?
Didn't think there was anything sinister in the question! As for LHR, the ops are QF31 ex Sydney Tue/Fri/Sat and QF32 ex London Wed/Sat/Sun. They have been doing this since for a month or two, ie utilising the 3rd a/c.
Old 16th March 2009, 05:58 PM

Is QF intending to use the A380 to SFO, LAX/JFK (QF107), FRA, JNB?

I agree that they make sense on London and Los Angeles routes, but I have no idea what sort of loads are usually seen on the other USA and German/South African flights.