Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2012, 12:35 PM

Air NZ is not making money either at the moment!

QF leaving the AKL-LAX route is good news though for them!
Old 16th February 2012, 08:59 PM

Hard to fathom how the Japan market has picked up, given the general state of the Japan economy and the high AUD. The JPY is high too, but basically the same to AUD as a year ago.

Maybe Australia is getting the overflow that cant get into Tours to the US and EU.

Last edited by Michael Cleary; 16th February 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 16th February 2012, 09:34 PM

Also Mumbai is getting axed so no direct links from Australia to India anymore.
Could jetstar asia start india flights ex sin?
Old 16th February 2012, 09:37 PM

Location: South Western Sydney under the approach path of YBSK

It was never really a direct link since it stopped in singapore. I thought most people who go to india use Thai via Bangkok?
Old 16th February 2012, 09:39 PM

I thought it went BNE-SIN-BOM routing.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:41 PM

Location: South Western Sydney under the approach path of YBSK

It is. I just thought most people who go to india would rather go through bangkok via Thai Airways.
Old 17th February 2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander.L View Post
It was never really a direct link since it stopped in singapore. I thought most people who go to india use Thai via Bangkok?
It was direct, but not non-stop. E.g. you can fly SYD-JFK direct, via LAX.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:51 PM

It was non-stop as QF123. If I remember correctly the routing changed in May 2009 following the 2008 Mumbai bombing
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:58 AM

NOT 100% sure if its come out of the restructure announcements last week, and not really wanting to start a single thread for just this, but seems as though QF/JQ are consolidating a little more in Vietnam, with the 'Jetstar Pacific'...

Quote:
QANTAS Airways' low-cost offshoot Jetstar Pacific will be majority owned by Vietnam Airways under an ownership change confirmed in Hanoi late yesterday.
Under the new arrangement, national flag carrier Vietnam Airways will hold 69.93 per cent of Jetstar Pacific, with Qantas Group owning 30 per cent of the low-cost carrier.

The ownership restructure had been heavily flagged in Vietnamese media reports.

Previously, Vietnam's State Capital Investment Corporation (SDIC) held the majority stake in Jetstar Pacific.

A new chief executive and chairman would also be appointed in coming weeks.

A joint statement from Vietnam Airlines and Jetstar said the two carriers would work together to develop a two-brand strategy focused on serving domestic and international routes.

Jetstar Group chief executive Bruce Buchanan said he welcomed Vietnam Airlines as a new partner in Jetstar Pacific.

"We are confident this partnership between a low-fares carrier and a full-service airline can replicate the success of the two brand strategy used by Qantas and Jetstar in Australia," Mr Buchanan said in the statement on Wednesday.

Jetstar Pacific would also receive a capital injection of $25 million for fleet renewal, with the five Boeing 737s used currently to be replaced with new Airbus A320s from the middle of 2012.

The airline said it hoped to have 15 A320s in its fleet within the next few years.

Qantas said, in a statement, its contribution to the capital injection would be $A7.5 million.

"The shareholders support Jetstar Pacific's fleet to grow to 15 A320s within the next few years," the airline said.

Qantas has faced a number of challenges since it bought into Jetstar Pacific, then known as Pacific Airlines, in 2007.

In 2010, two Qantas executives were detained by Vietnamese authorities for more than six months as part of an investigation into fuel-hedging losses at Jetstar Pacific.

The investigation was terminated and the pair was not charged.

A former Jetstar Pacific chief executive was also arrested for "causing serious losses", while a Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam report found the airline failed to follow maintenance regulations.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...#ixzz1n41MGhgH

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
It was non-stop as QF123. If I remember correctly the routing changed in May 2009 following the 2008 Mumbai bombing
The timing of the SIN stop introduction sounds about right, I thought there was some kind of an issue relating to crew hours, allowances, breaks or something with the non-stop flight as well though?