Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd November 2008, 08:53 PM

Default Airline Cadetships

Just a general question...

What are peoples thoughts on the various pilot cadetships offered worldwide?
Obviously one very popular one here is the Qantas Cadetship. But is this the best one to choose?

What to people seemt to think of the Rex Cadetship? Also the fact that Etihad now allows international applicants opens up another option for Aussies.
Seattle - Las Vegas
Las Vegas - New York
New York - Buffalo
Buffalo - New York
New York - Orlando
Miami - Los Angeles
Los Angeles - Sydney
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:00 PM

Matt,
May I suggest you steer clear of Rex's cadetship as far as you can possibly ever get.

If you're considering a future in aviation as a pilot, can I suggest to consider doing some time in General Aviation along the way. Many a successful pilot has gone through General Aviation and enjoyed every minute of it. It's an area of aviation which a lot of people seem to try and bypass as much as possible, when it should really be included as much as possible.

The GA scene these days really need's more pilot's.

Give it a thought.

Mick
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:28 PM

Thanks Mick,
I've heard a smililar opinion of the Rex Cadetship off somebody else actually. Could anybody tell me why that particular program is so frowned upon?
Seattle - Las Vegas
Las Vegas - New York
New York - Buffalo
Buffalo - New York
New York - Orlando
Miami - Los Angeles
Los Angeles - Sydney
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hogg View Post
Thanks Mick,
I've heard a smililar opinion of the Rex Cadetship off somebody else actually. Could anybody tell me why that particular program is so frowned upon?

Without wanting to re direct traffic, Matt take a quick look at http://pprune.org/forums (am i allowed to hyperlink other forum? just did) in the D AND G section- check REX cadet threads and whilst these posters are no doubt somewhat biased it gives a very real depiction and first hand account of what is occuring.

To give an idea the instructors are basically non existant or very few down there at Mangalore. The cadets progress is very slow, facilities are apparently not too great as well for a reputable airline like REX.
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:20 AM

Matt, my suggestion is to find the airline you'd like to end up working for, and look into their cadet program. If you're not eligible for it, choose the next airline down and look at theirs, etc. Obviously don't close any doors, but if you're going to try for a cadet program then I'd suggest it at least be with someone you want to fly for.

Finally, as Mike says, don't feel that it's 'cadetship or bust'. There are many great experiences to be had in General Aviation, and the current tightness in the pilot labour market makes it a very reasonable time to be looking for a job there. Having said that, Mike's also in the enviable position of working for the pinnacle GA operator, whose selection criteria are legendary, and with conditions to match. Many haven't achieved the same lofty heights, and there are innumerable horror stories from people who've worked for shonky employers, flying unairworthy aeroplanes and being asked to regularly break the rules. There's certainly nothing 'hard yards' or 'real flying' about any of that, particularly where you're carrying fare-paying passengers who don't know any better. Thankfully it's a pilots' market at the moment, and unscrupulous operators are unlikely to retain their staff for long.
Old 25th November 2008, 07:25 AM

Default Your Eggs

I think as has been suggested by previous posts, it's important not to put all of your eggs into the one basket so to speak. While cadetships may be a fantastic entry point into the airline you would like to work for, it shouldn't be your ultimate goal in aviation.

Sometimes it is necessary to step back, and look at what you want from a career in aviation holistically. If you so decide that becoming an airline pilot with whichever airline is your goal, then it is my belief that you will do whatever you can to get there... Sure put in your cadet application, but if you're unsuccessful with your application, the alternative method is?

If you are determined enough, you will get there regardless of whether your cadetship application is successful.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:02 PM

Default Cadetships

After speaking to a Senior Qantas pilot last week I've come to understand that there's basically three ways to become a pilot in the industry. GA, airforce or a cadetship. GA is expensive I guess but from what people have said above it might not be too bad.

The airforce is hard to get into and the pilots course - from what I've read - is rewarding but quite hard. Of course you get loads of experience, do heaps of exciting flying and can easily transfer to big airlines after your ROSO.
When I first found out about the REX cadetship I thought it was the way to go but if there are hardly any instructors you might as well become a pilot through GA because the difference in price isn't that great.
One other thing about the qantas cadetship is that even after paying for all your training from an RTO, you still aren't guarrenteed a job.
The only thing that may hinder me from being a pilot is if I wasn't good enough and ended up with the option of choosing some dodgy private airline with underpaid engineers or not being a pilot at all - which would suck.
Old 28th November 2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
Of course you get loads of experience, do heaps of exciting flying and can easily transfer to big airlines after your ROSO.
Peter, the Air Force at present are struggling to keep their pilots current. Even in a full year you may only fly up to 300hrs per year.

Being in the RAAF does not make it any easier to get an airline job after your ROSO. It doesn't even mean you can go straight to a Captain. You will start right a the bottom just like everyone else.

If like you say "the only thing that may hinder me from being a pilot is if I wasn't good enough" then you obviously have not applied yourself to your studies. There is nothing that you can't do in aviation unless you apply 110%!! Believe me I have had my fair share of knock backs and it has not stopped me at all to get me to where I am today. As a matter of fact I think being knocked back only made me more determined to reach my goals.

Whichever way you go there is plenty of fun to be had!! Good Luck!
Old 6th December 2008, 11:23 AM

GA. best fun you'll have. will learn heaps, thats for sure.

and you will at least have some real stories to tell up front rather than those that have just gone straight to the jets! (oh, and real experience too)
Old 7th December 2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
(oh, and real experience too)
Tell me about it! I'm so sick of having to fill in the 'Fake Aeronautical Experience' column in my logbook.