Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2008, 08:53 PM

Default Larger VIP Jets backed by CDF

Australian CDF calls for larger RAAF VIP jets;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...05/2265464.htm

Hmmm, I think a couple of A330, B777s or whatever would look great in RAAF VIP colours. Interestingly, we haven't had the B737s very long at all, and apart from the size issue I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I would lean towards the A330 due to the MRTT purchase and the current QDS maintenance contract which will still has some time to go. Of course, there is every chance that this will all come to nothing.
Old 9th June 2008, 10:21 PM

I would think if the ADF were to go bigger it would be the A330, due to, as you pointed out the MRTT purchase.

Although having said that, there are a lot of political obstacles in the way. The average tax payer would see this as an un-necessary indulgence by the Government.

I strongly feel that we should 'upgrade' to a larger aircraft however. The current BBJ's are not good for much. Due to the added long range fuel tanks, payload is significantly reduced. (down to 1 'small' bag for passengers) Also, the toilets have in the past overflowed on long flights due to the small containers.

It's time for something bigger...
Old 9th June 2008, 11:45 PM

Hi Jed

I guess that's hardly surprising given the support staff and Press contingents carried on overseas trips. The BBJs were never designed to carry large numbers of people in quasi airliner style ; rather the opposite of a privileged few in luxury.

And I'm a little cynical about this as I reckon if the Libs had purchased or leased bigger aircraft, the Press and Labour Party (in Opposition) would have had a field day - ie too big, too extravagant, waste of taxpayers' money etc etc. Amazing how being in Government changes attitudes and values.

From what I recall reading, the BBJ was NOT the preferred option, but rather the (even smaller ?) A319CJ. However, John Howard and/or senior public servants apparently overruled the RAAF advisers as Howard wanted the "American one" which was the only decent sized aircraft available to replace the B707 in the VIP role. Perhaps they should have considered the bigger BBJ2 ?

If this was the case, why would the RAAF have recommended the A319CJ ?

I've never seen inside a RAAF BBJ but believe it to be austere and functional, nothing like the photos we see of BBJs in private use -one came into Brisbane recently with a shower cubicle on board and gold plated taps among the many luxury fittings. Once again the previous Lib Govt deferred to the presumed wishes of the electorate by not being extravagant with the fitout.

I also recall reading that there was an outcry not too long ago when the carpets and/or seat coverings were being replaced with more expensive fabric.

Perhaps the Press and new Labour Govt both have vested interests in wanting bigger aircraft so they can be in each other's pockets on long overseas trips - something akin to the former Liberal Government when the B707s were still in VIP use.

So why not keep the BBJs and Challengers for the regular Pollie/ADF shuttles between the various cities and military bases and lease a couple of extra A330s or B787 Business Jets dedicated to Prime Ministerial use on overseas tours ?

Old 10th June 2008, 08:38 AM

But we've got the Challengers for the shuttle haven't we.

It still amazes me the politicking around Government aircraft - and continuing to refer to them as VIP just compounds things.

The reality is that we're located at the a**e-end of the earth and proper transport to the rest of the world is an important part of our interaction with it.

I agree, linking A330s onto the MRTT deal seems sensible....

kent
Old 10th June 2008, 12:19 PM

There is a shower on the aircraft, which the potable water is greater than the small waste tanks that are on board. Ie you have a shower you fill up the waste tanks..... There are 4 large seats which dont even lay flat for the PM or GG. Then there is large economy seats down the back for the plebs and engineers. Its not to bad inside but some of the other Bizjets that I managed to look at when I was at Sydney blew our BBJ away.
Old 10th June 2008, 03:40 PM

Hi Kent

I believe that the RAAF BBJs operate regular shuttles between RAAF bases and they are also frequent visitors to Perth. I presume the majority of their visits are with WA politicians coming home for weekend breaks, holidays etc.
Old 10th June 2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
I've never seen inside a RAAF BBJ but believe it to be austere and functional, nothing like the photos we see of BBJs in private use tours ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
There are 4 large seats which dont even lay flat for the PM or GG. Then there is large economy seats down the back for the plebs and engineers. .

Old 10th June 2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
...If this was the case, why would the RAAF have recommended the A319CJ ?...
The DMO Project Office probably recommended the A319CJ based on requirements given to them by the stakeholders and regulatory authorities as well as numerous other constraints that noone ever hears about when questioning acquisitions.

Quote:
...So why not keep the BBJs and Challengers for the regular Pollie/ADF shuttles between the various cities and military bases and lease a couple of extra A330s or B787 Business Jets dedicated to Prime Ministerial use on overseas tours ?.
This sounds quite feasible, but it depends on how much overseas travel is anticipated. Obviously there is a balance between the requirements and the cost. Perhaps they just lease a QF plane as required. Nonetheless, if Angus Houston says we need it...that's good enough for me. He is one dedicated and very switched on individual.
Old 10th June 2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Hi Kent

I believe that the RAAF BBJs operate regular shuttles between RAAF bases and they are also frequent visitors to Perth. I presume the majority of their visits are with WA politicians coming home for weekend breaks, holidays etc.
Sorry, forgot the smilie in my original message....

In this day and age, the planes are pretty much essential I reckon....how about an ex-QF 743?

Kent
Old 10th June 2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
how about an ex-QF 743?
Not really an option in my opinion. If the ADF do it, I think they should do it right. ie: an A330/787.