Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2008, 08:01 PM

Yeh they should just do it properly. Keep the BBJ's for domestic, A332/333/787 for international visits.

However, leasing a QF plane wouldn't be *all* that bad, although i expect QF would rather have the planes to themselves...
Old 10th June 2008, 08:50 PM

The BBJ and 604's are leased from Qantas i believe, and serviced by Qantas Defence Services Special Purpose Aircraft Business Unit which really manages the fleet for the RAAF.

If another aircraft was to be operated, logically as already mentioned either the A330 or another suitable QF operated aircraft would be the ideal candidate.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:16 PM

Surely you can't be serious Kent.

The QF B747-300s are dreadfully unreliable at present and have given untold grief to thousands of long suffering passengers to and from Perth for over 12 months. Hardly a day goes by without lengthy delays or cancellations.

On Monday my wife was returning to Perth from Sydney and the 747 due to fly QF575 went unserviceable. Luckily QF was able to substitute an A330-300which was arriving from Shanghai so she finally got away after a 2 hour delay. This follows a 90 minute delay on the PER-SYD leg last Monday week.

And friends of ours who travelled to Melbourne a few weeks ago endured 3 and 4 hour delays on both legs.

There are countless other incidents that could be mentioned also.

The B747-300s must be nearing the end of their lives and will be replaced later in the year. They're probably only good for scrap and parts now and I think QF will be glad to see the end of them.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
I think QF will be glad to see the end of them.
The delays are frustrating, especially for us in Perth who fly on them

They will be most glad to see the back of them, especially considering the current fuel prices. Im not sure the RAAF/G'ment would want them with fuel prices the way even! (not taking into account their lives are nearing end).

I just wonder if politics could get in the way of a decision...most likely will.
Old 11th June 2008, 05:48 AM

What are you saying Rhys - that clapped out, unreliable ex QF B747-300s will be foisted on to the RAAF who will then use them as VIP aircraft to fly the PM and others overseas ?

I very much doubt that the Government would do that to itself - it might as well shoot itself in the foot !

If it did happen, I'd change allegiance and barrack for the Dockers instead of the Demons !!!!

And to be perfectly honest, I'm at the point where I would avoid booking a 747 flight and would rather go via Adelaide to the Eastern states or pick a flight that had other equipment or use Virgin.
Old 11th June 2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Surely you can't be serious Kent.
Hence the big grin at the end of the statement.....

Kent

PS. Mind you, where did the 707s come from?
Old 11th June 2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
What are you saying Rhys - that clapped out, unreliable ex QF B747-300s will be foisted on to the RAAF who will then use them as VIP aircraft to fly the PM and others overseas ?

I very much doubt that the Government would do that to itself - it might as well shoot itself in the foot !

If it did happen, I'd change allegiance and barrack for the Dockers instead of the Demons !!!!

And to be perfectly honest, I'm at the point where I would avoid booking a 747 flight and would rather go via Adelaide to the Eastern states or pick a flight that had other equipment or use Virgin.
no, i said they wont take them.

and im the same...i just cant avoid flying on the 747's though..
Old 11th June 2008, 02:38 PM

"......I just wonder if politics could get in the way of a decision...most likely will...."

I read that sentence as meaning that if the B743s were offered then the Government would pressure the RAAF to take them (God knows why !)

The B743s must all be around the 60/80,000 hours mark and the domestic schedules would have greatly increased their expected number of cycles. Even more reason for the Government to not even think about them.
Old 11th June 2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
"......I just wonder if politics could get in the way of a decision...most likely will...."

I read that sentence as meaning that if the B743s were offered then the Government would pressure the RAAF to take them (God knows why !)

The B743s must all be around the 60/80,000 hours mark and the domestic schedules would have greatly increased their expected number of cycles. Even more reason for the Government to not even think about them.
okay, i meant that politics would get in the way of purchasing a new aircraft for government use.

i do NOT think the ogvernemnt should purchase ex-qf 743...
Old 11th June 2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
Hence the big grin at the end of the statement.....

Kent

PS. Mind you, where did the 707s come from?
Qantas and Saudia Arabia - and in pretty good condition as well as they were relatively young and replaced by 747's in both cases i believe.