Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2011, 07:39 PM

Default Left Handed Camera

Hi Guys - I have done plenty of Googling on this but can't find too much up to date information.

My 16yo son can only use his left hand, but can use his right arm for support, so I'm looking for a left handed camera.

He loves photography and photographing aircraft, so I gave him a Kodak DX7590, but it's impossible for him to use.

I also thought that I might be able to adapt some sought of camera stand for his wheelchair so he can move and angle the camera dynamically while looking at an LCD screen to centre the shot with the shoot button on the right??

Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Old 28th January 2011, 08:33 PM

Well a remote shutter release is cheap and would allow him to hold it easily....

+ http://www.opticalhardware.co.uk/PDF..._clamp_new.pdf

Flown:
Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Bombardier, De Havilland Canada, Ilyushin, Yakovlev, Tupolev, Shorts, ATR, McDonnell Douglas, Fokker, Embraer, British Aerospace, Antonov.

Last edited by Torin Wilson; 28th January 2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 28th January 2011, 08:49 PM

I don't have any info on left handed cameras, but I'd have thought Torin's solution might be a good one. If you can rig some sort of device to hold the camera itself, remote shutter releases are cheap and easy and would allow the left hand to operate the shutter. Wouldn't help with some of the other settings, but the cameras now are good in automatic modes for most uses.

There are some pretty nifty camera-holding devices around now, depending on the weight of the camera... there are ones that look like spiders that you can wrap around things, and my personal favourite the MonsterPod, allowing you to stick the camera anywhere.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:18 PM

I haven't found anything on Left handed DSLR but this is closest things i can find,

http://www.instructables.com/id/Take...-hand-SLR-cam/

to modd a grip ish thing to any DSLR,
but might not work on small hands such as kids,

But,
a more expensive option,

Some Camera grips have an extra button for portrait mode, which can kinda be used to take with left hand,
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/...386fa3c7_o.jpg

EG
Nikon Cameras - Nikon MB-D80 (Cause im a Nikon guy )
http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....016-691987de5e
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/d90-grip.jpg

Hope that helps!
Michael
Old 29th January 2011, 04:42 PM

Hi Darren,

I think the previous suggestions of remote triggering are the way to go. I have been using a cheap intervalometer similar to this one. It is designed to allow continuous shooting at particular intervals, but works just as well as a manual trigger. It has a long chord so your son could potentially hold the camera with his right arm and trigger it with his left.

For a camera stand a Manfrotto Magic Arm might work. It has a clamp on one end (which could easily be attached to a wheelchair) with a rotating joint in the middle.

The only potential problem is that with the quick release camera bracket, everything is held in place when the arm is tightened (i.e. the camera would be pointing in a fixed direction). Your son may find it easier to use the magic arm with a ball head, which I believe would allow the camera to be fully supported, but still swivel around.

I have just purchased one and would be happy for you to try it out sometime to see how it works - it only has the quick release bracket though. I'm also happy for him to try out the remote with my camera too, see how he likes it. Send me a PM if you're interested (I go away this week but will be back late Feb).

Last edited by Gareth Forwood; 29th January 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:48 PM

Hi All - can anyone identify the camera handle/trigger in this pic?
[IMG][/IMG]
My son Sam's ZF7590 camera broke and since he can only use his left hand and there are no left handed cameras on the market, this looks like a good option.
I have spent hours googling looking for something but can't find anything suitable. This has a thumb button trigger, but an index finger might be better.

Thanks

Darren
Old 21st April 2011, 03:14 PM

Darren, don't know the make/model of that hand grip sorry, but if you find it... if that trigger screws into the thread on the base of the camera, why not just turn it around 180 degrees to become an index finger shutter? Test it with a couple of different thickness washers until you can get it tight facing the right way.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:12 AM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...625+4289366222

Try these remote controlers, mount the camera on his chair.

Last edited by Steve Bottom; 22nd April 2011 at 07:24 AM.