Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th May 2009, 11:11 PM

Exclamation New Airport Security measures announced

This press release just out from the Attorney-General:

Quote:

ENHANCING SECURITY AT AUSTRALIA’S AIRPORTS

The Rudd Government will invest $53 million to enhance security and policing at Australia’s eleven major airports.

“The Government is committed to ensuring that policing at Australia’s airports is strong and effective,” Attorney-General Robert McClelland said.

“The Commonwealth will maintain a permanent Australian Federal Police (AFP) presence at major Australian airports, consistent with the unified policing model,” Minister for Home Affairs Bob Debus said.

Other measures that the Commonwealth will continue to fund include:
  • Air Security Officers (ASO) to provide an in-flight security presence and anti-hijacking capability;
  • Airport Uniform Police (AUP) seconded from State and Territory police forces to provide security and law enforcement at airports;
  • Joint Aviation Investigative Teams to investigate serious, organised and systemic crime within the aviation sector;
  • Regional Rapid Deployment Teams to respond to security incidents and risks at Australia’s regional airports;
  • Airport Police Commanders to coordinate and manage policing functions at airports around Australia; and
  • Aviation Officer Networks to maintain effective communication between all aviation security components.
“This funding will support the primary role the Australian Federal Police has in policing and security in the aviation sector,” Mr Debus said.

“With so many Australians travelling by air each year, the Australian Government is committed to keeping the aviation environment as secure and safe as possible.”

The Government will also consider the outcome of the current Federal Audit of Police Capabilities, which is expected to report later this year, in determining future aviation security needs.

These measures form part of the Rudd Government’s commitment of $685 million to strengthen Australia’s national security framework across the vital areas of airport security, counter-terrorism, policing and intelligence capability in our region and E-security.
There is about to be a whole new cohort of people we will need to pre-emptively educate about what we do if we do not want to risk losing much of what we currently enjoy ...
Old 12th May 2009, 11:44 PM

Most if not all of these components of Aviation Security already exist and are currently in place.
Old 13th May 2009, 08:17 AM
Prolific Member

I agree with Lee.

It seems like a waste of a press release by the A.G. when there's nothing new in there. Is there an election coming up soon?
Old 18th May 2009, 09:01 AM

Yep - Just standard re-launching of what already happens.

Great work KRudd
Old 18th May 2009, 11:01 AM
Prolific Member

Even if new measures were talked about by the PM, the AG or any of his colleagues, it would be just that, talk.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:11 AM

"“With so many Australians travelling by air each year, the Australian Government is committed to keeping the aviation environment as secure and safe as possible.”

I feel so safe now Where is my be alert but not alarmed fridge magnet...
Old 18th May 2009, 03:49 PM

Talking

Somone in the department obviously wanted to look like this new administration was being proactive and doing something different. I hope they didnt leave the original issue date on the top of that press release!

Unfortunately like Lee said these initiatives were a direct result years ago after the findings of the John Wheeler report and already in place.

Its a shame they couldnt think of anything new to strengthen these existing arrangements. When i have spoken with the AFP guys at the airport they have mentioned the arrangement is both inadequate and disfunctional.

Not sure if its the same at other airports but you rarely ever see the VicPol guys walking around with the AFP guys. They seem to do there own thing.

In my experience their response time for incidents is poor often 10+mins but when they do come theres usually 6-8 of them which needless to say, really makes a hostile pax very quiet!