Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2011, 04:19 PM

Perth has no center line lights, however they would have been smart to put them in when they re surfaced...

It also has no Taxi way edge lights
Old 15th October 2011, 05:26 PM

Most major airports don't have taxiway edge lighting when taxiway centreline lighting is available.

And it's not just a simple case of putting in a few lights during a resurface. There is the potential that a large upgrade of the existing wiring could be needed just for runway centreline lights.

Mick
Old 15th October 2011, 05:38 PM
Prolific Member

But how many low visibility events does Perth have each year, and would there be a real benefit in actually having them?
There's also the ongoing maintenance costs. It's not just a case of installing them and then leaving them til the end of time, there's periodic maintenance required to keep them serviceable.

It shouldn't be long now before the centreline lighting is fully restored at Sydney. Recent asphalt works and subsequent coring of the light cannisters means it shouldn't be too far away from being reinstated. Grooving of the re-layed asphalt areas will take place in 6 weeks.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:33 AM

Perth has a number of low visibility events every year.

Fog is not uncommon at all at Perth (although forecasting of it seems to leave a little to be desired sometimes!), and Perth has a higher mean number of days of fog per year than both Sydney and Melbourne do... (although the Data I am working off for that is a little old, I can't imagine it has changed a great deal).
Old 4th November 2011, 12:18 AM
Prolific Member

It looks like the centreline lighting at Sydney will be recommissioned tonight, with testing of it currently underway.