Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th May 2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew dobson View Post
Just FYI - the Uniden UBC73XLT is currently on sale at DSE. This isn't an ad, more of a community service announcement!
I cant seem to find that online, does DSE even sell it anymore?
But i found the 72XLT, wats the difference?
Old 13th May 2010, 07:06 PM

I saw it in DSE George St .
Old 13th May 2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
I cant seem to find that online, does DSE even sell it anymore?
But i found the 72XLT, wats the difference?

You're right .... they are on the website as the 72 but they are selling the 73.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
There is nothing sad about walking the dog.
Those who've met me, will testify I'm pretty much blatant in referring to the activity of parking the car with the scanner watching aircraft as 'sad plane bastard s**t'.

Could be worse, we could be train spotting
Old 15th May 2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikha Ly View Post
Could be worse, we could be train spotting
I've seen you do both.. they seem about the same to me
Old 29th December 2010, 08:31 AM

G'day folks

Sorry to dig this thread up after a while, though I have a query which I feel is relevant.

I use a UBC73XLT, and it has proven me well thus far, however at times, even at Sydney Airport, the coverage can be a little scratchy or just not holding the signal well enough.

Would there be any benefit at all if I went out and got one of these Scanducky 40cm replacement antennas? (See here). Would the extra length of the antenna do wonders for an improvement in coverage?

Additionally, I will be moving back to the Riverina next year, and in the past, trying to pick up Melbourne centre hasn't overly been successful, so hoping a replacement antenna might do the trick.

Many thanks for any advice provided!
Old 29th December 2010, 08:47 AM
Prolific Member

There could be a number of reasons for poor reception, including terrain or building shielding. It's not uncommon for me if I'm at the southern end of the field to not hear tugs or bug-smashers at the northern end. The elevation of the jet's antennae normally gives good reception right across the field.

But you could always hard mount a high gain antenna to your car and run a small length of cable to the scanner.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:27 AM

I lost my Icom IC20 last year a $1000 dollar scanner accidently left it on the back of the car.So i have just bought my new Yaesu VR 500.Works well and has dual channels
Old 29th December 2010, 11:08 PM

Maikha, it is as Nigel said.

it is all about the signal field and any obsticals that are in the way.

A general rule of thumb, if you can see the Location where signal is being transmitted from, you should be fine.

Distance can be over come with a hi gain antenna, but again, obstrctions and obstacles can also cause loss of reception.
Old 30th December 2010, 04:23 PM

Simple scanners for airband like the Uniden 73 work well for me at the airport.A airband specific antenna is worthwhile , the scanducky is a general coverage antenna but works ok around the airport & out to around 10k for ground/tower frequencies.The main reception issues i have found are breakthrough across frequencies as some of the transmitters are around the airport & powerful.The airband is AM modulation so is more susceptable to interference .Some transmitters are off site, i suspect for the director/radar/ approach frequencies so the ground level reception varies . The planes are clearly heard , for me up to 200k on AOR-Mini scanner with original antenna.Overall i have been very happy with the basic scanner.Mobile One at Camden have airband antennas for scanners in both fittings.The attenuation feature on the Aor works well to reduce overload at the airport .That scanner is a reasonable price online ,as is Icom R6 if you want more features /memory/sensitivity than the basic Uniden.The R20 is the best but pricey .That one has a recorder which is handy to playback calls later in a quieter place.