Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Johnson View Post
how soon QF will only be BNE, SYD, MEL, CBR & PER & rest will be given to JQ.
What about ADL in that list? They wouldn't drop all routes from ADL.

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:29 PM

Similalry, what about HBA? Would this go to QLink or JQ? The 6am 737 service to MEL is always pretty full when I'm on it. If this went to JQ, they would have to start paying for crew to stay overnight as there is no JQ base in HBA anymore. The pollies would be very peeved if QF mainline pulled out of HBA. DJ would love it.
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:18 PM

From what I'm hearing most of the Domestic sector will be relatively ok. It's the International pilots that are going to be screwed over..
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
how soon QF will only be BNE, SYD, MEL, CBR & PER & rest will be given to JQ.
This is wrong on so many levels....
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:44 PM

Default Not staying alive: Qantas dumps John Travolta in-flight safety video

A 'sign of the times' perhaps - no longer paying any Royalties..???

Quote:
QANTAS has begun replacing its "cringe-worthy" in-flight safety video that stars John Travolta.
Travolta, who owns a vintage Qantas Boeing 707-138B jet, starred in a controversial three-minute demonstration video played before take-off on every domestic and long-haul Qantas flights since earlier this year.

Fast forward five months and the video is disappearing from in-flight sceens. The Saturday Night Fever and Grease star is thought to be a casualty of an ongoing industrial dispute between Qantas and the Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA).

The airline has confirmed it is replacing the Travolta video but insists it was only a "temporary feature". However, the union says there is another motive at play, with the video's message similar to their own.

In the video Travolta, who is also a Qantas ambassador, says: "There's no one I'd rather have at the controls than a Qantas pilot".

This is the same motto that the AIPA uses in its campaign against Qantas sourcing pilots from overseas... and paying them less.

"The seemingly common-sense message has now earned the Hollywood star the sack from the Qantas in-flight video," an AIPA spokesperson said.

"With Qantas management under Alan Joyce preparing to announce moves to replace Australian Qantas pilots with outsourced and offshore alternatives on August 24, Travolta’s message has been deemed inappropriate for the times."

When the safety video was released earlier this year there was outrage about the use of Travolta in the clip.

Cabin crew argued that a "real pilot" like Captain Richard de Crespigny, credited with saving 466 lives on a crippled flight from Singapore, should deliver the message.

The video opens with Travolta, named the airline's ambassador in 2010, dressed in a pilot's uniform and hat, announcing, "This is your captain speaking - well, maybe not today.

"But I can guarantee that the guys on the flight deck and the greater team care just as much about aircraft safety as I do.

"I've been flying over 40 years as a pilot and I can tell you, there's no one I'd rather have at the controls than a Qantas pilot," he added.

"Who better than the genuine aviation professionals who saved QF32?," said one Qantas staff member.

One Qantas flight attendant, who did not wish to be named, described the video as "corny" and "tacky."
Source: News.com.au

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:31 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

When I returned from Cairns last Friday with QF, they played the Travolta Safety Video as usual, however when we landed in Sydney and were taxiing to the terminal, the Captain came on with an announcement outlining the planned changes by Qantas. The Captain's message was right to the point, "Qantas Pilots in Qantas aircraft", and asked everyone to support the pilot's cause.

All that was missing was the final, "This announcement by Qaqntas pilots, was written and spoken by" .....

The QF pilots have a great platform to get their message across to the travelling public, so that they understand what is going on.
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:55 PM

qantasanswers.com.au
Quote:
All Qantas-operated flights are flown by Qantas pilots.

This includes every Qantas domestic flight and every Qantas international flight.

Union claims to the contrary are incorrect and misleading.
Why do we tolerate blatant lies?
I can assure you New Zealand ops for example aren't, they are flown by Jetconnect New Zealand pilots yet under a QF flight number.

I suspect this August 24 announcement will have ALOT to do with JQ taking over a tonne of QF 'operated' flights but with crews from a multitude of sourcing agencies/companies such as jetconnect or indeed Jq themselves.

If only the public actually knew....
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:35 PM

and Matt what is the lie, i cant see it

ps if it is to do with Jetconnect, it isa Qantas group company, so it cant be that
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:54 PM

Well, if you go to the Qantas website & lookup a flight to AKL for instance, then it says "This flight operated by Jetconnect for Qantas".

Seems blatant enough to me ;-).
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:22 PM

Andrew,

So a Jconnect pilot is Qf trained and an Australian crew on fair work conditions. No!

Foreign crew less pay etc pretty simple to see - they might be getting paid off 'Qantas' checkbook but they are Not Qantas pilots , the difference is a rather large one.