Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th July 2008, 01:43 AM
Prolific Member

Default Airlines call for curfew end at Sydney Airport

Here we go again...

From www.news.com.au

Quote:
Airlines call for curfew end
July 07, 2008 12:59am

QANTAS and Singapore Airlines have called for a curfew at Sydney Airport to be scrapped to allow flights throughout the night at Australia's largest air hub.

The two airlines are lobbying the federal government for the changes, saying a cap of 80 flights an hour, and an 11pm to 6am curfew, are restricting growth at the airport.

Both argue that quieter planes make it possible to scrap the night curfew, with Qantas arguing jets should be allowed to land but not take off.

Without change, a second airport would have to be built in Sydney to cope with booming traffic numbers, Qantas argues in its submission to the government.

However, the proposal has received short shrift from federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese, who said the current quota and curfew system strikes the right balance for surrounding communities.

"The original legislation establishing the cap and curfew at Sydney Airport passed the Parliament with bipartison support,'' Mr Albanese told Fairfax Newspapers.

"It strikes the right balance between the commercial interests of the airport and protecting the quality of life of local residents.''

Mr Albanese's electorate of Grayndler sits to the north of the airport and is arguably the most affected by aircraft noise in Sydney, Fairfax said.

The mayor of nearby Marrickville, Dimitrios Thanos, angrily slammed the airlines' proposal, saying both are putting profit above the needs of surrounding communities.
Old 7th July 2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Here we go again...

The mayor of nearby Marrickville, Dimitrios Thanos, angrily slammed the airlines' proposal, saying both are putting profit above the needs of surrounding communities.
Maybe I have missed something - how is extending the curfew going to increase profits? I doubt any of the airlines want to schedule services to arrive or depart outside the normal hours. Why it does need to be extended is so delayed aircraft are not stuck in their original port, they can't arrive or have to divert. The JQ debarcle of a couple of months ago is why the curfew should be extended.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:06 AM

Is there any curfew at Richmond RAAF?
Old 7th July 2008, 09:23 AM

One solution could be to make the curfew softer by allowing flights operated by certain aircraft types (based on noise footprint) and which have a scheduled arrival or departure time outside of curfew to take off/land during curfew.

Curfew excemptions would then be granted depending on the prior on-time performance of the flight and airline in question, to avoid airlines abusing the system.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:33 AM

I thought the airport was here long before the residents. I have no sympathy. The world standing of Sydney is only getting stymied by the short sightedness of both the state and federal governments. Sydney Airport is just one of many number of venues / services affected the inactions of both these governments (including former govt's). All they seem to look at is their current term ahead in politics and not the long term picture. I am just sick of it and had enough. It's little wonder NSW is losing out now to other states and the rest of the world.
Old 7th July 2008, 10:49 AM

Simple the airlines need to use other airports as a major hub and only use sydney as required.Australia is a big country and has six other states.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Parker View Post
I thought the airport was here long before the residents. I have no sympathy. The world standing of Sydney is only getting stymied by the short sightedness of both the state and federal governments. Sydney Airport is just one of many number of venues / services affected the inactions of both these governments (including former govt's). All they seem to look at is their current term ahead in politics and not the long term picture. I am just sick of it and had enough. It's little wonder NSW is losing out now to other states and the rest of the world.
Ease up on the angry pills Malcom!!

Yes, the airport was there long before most residents (I have a centarian in my street who's lived there all her life). But remember that the curfew was strengthened with the opening of 16L/34R, when the supposed closure of 07/25 had huge impact north of the airport - I was living in Stanmore at the time and change was very marked. So much so that I chose my current house to avoid (for the most part) significant flight paths.

Then Howard changed the flight paths to move flights away from Bennelong, so my new place was impacted for the first time....

That said, I'm somewhat sympathetic to Erik's suggestion.

Cheers

Kent
Old 7th July 2008, 03:33 PM

Malcolm Parker - Thanks mate you said it all for me! Couldn't put it better myself!

What the hell does anyone buying a property near the airport or near a flight path expect.

Sometimes I am not proud to be Australian! Well being in Sydney (nasty city)I am not proud, to be honest. If I weren't trapped here I'd be out.
Old 7th July 2008, 03:58 PM

I think they probably expect the curfew to remain in force. Why wouldn't they?
Old 7th July 2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik H. Bakke View Post
One solution could be to make the curfew softer by allowing flights operated by certain aircraft types (based on noise footprint) and which have a scheduled arrival or departure time outside of curfew to take off/land during curfew.

Curfew excemptions would then be granted depending on the prior on-time performance of the flight and airline in question, to avoid airlines abusing the system.
This already happens