Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2008, 04:21 PM

Thank you Nigel .

As for Adelaide ... I guess anyone who lives in a time zone which is half an hour out from the rest of the world has an excuse for being "different".
Old 11th July 2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Yes, you can't trust those Adelaide people.

The Kiwis are ok though!
Hey - whats wrong with us Adelaidians?

No - no need to answer that either. That could take all day.
Old 11th July 2008, 07:42 PM

Nothing wrong with Adelaideans/Sth Australians. Most of us are decendants of free settlers rather than our east coast cousins who,how ,shall I put this ,delicatley and in a way we can all understand - arrived in shackles !
Old 11th July 2008, 07:55 PM

Wasnt nz once part of nsw
Old 11th July 2008, 08:44 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
Everyone knows my feelings.Keep them away from here. It should be kept as it is now.
I agree Ray. Your feelings should be kept away from here, and things should be left as they are now.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:17 PM

If this does go ahead, how will this affect the Australia-NZ-USA flights? I guess you wouldn't be able to transit from one aircraft to the other, but rather have to go through customs & immigrations at AKL, and then avoid the mess at SYD especially in the morning.

Overall though, I think it's a good idea.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lindsay View Post
Wasnt nz once part of nsw
I see you have a bit of historical knowledge there Craig.. that is true, NZ was for a short period of time under NSW control..and even Fiji was considering becoming a colony of Australia, but all that fell apart mid 1890's...and by 1900 we (Australia) finally federated.

Poor Kiwi's didn't know what they were going to miss out on...
Old 12th July 2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
Poor Kiwi's didn't know what they were going to miss out on...
Not missing out on anything....most of 'em live here don't they??
Old 12th July 2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
If this does go ahead, how will this affect the Australia-NZ-USA flights? I guess you wouldn't be able to transit from one aircraft to the other, but rather have to go through customs & immigrations at AKL, and then avoid the mess at SYD especially in the morning.

Overall though, I think it's a good idea.
I suppose this would work similar to how passengers fly domestic sectors on international flights. For instance a pax flying MEL-AKL on QF25 would get a "Trans tasman" sticker on his/her boarding pass. They would then board/deplane through existing International infrastructure where they would then walk around immigration/customs on presentation of their boarding pass.

Jason
Old 12th July 2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers View Post
I suppose this would work similar to how passengers fly domestic sectors on international flights. For instance a pax flying MEL-AKL on QF25 would get a "Trans tasman" sticker on his/her boarding pass. They would then board/deplane through existing International infrastructure where they would then walk around immigration/customs on presentation of their boarding pass.

Jason
It doesn't have to be. The ideal situation is what happens to passengers in countries that are a party to the Schengen Agreement. Basicly when a passenger arrives from a country that is not part of Schengen they arrive as an international pax. If they then depart to a country that is part of Schengen they depart as, what we in Aus would call a domestic pax. ie no passport or custom controls.

The same is true for departures. From a Schengen country to a non Schengen you go through passport control and are treated as an International pax.

As for this specific proposal it makes sense to me and there would be no fear about keeping the Kiwi's out as they already have far greater freedom to enter Aus than people from other counties, and of course vice versa with Australians entering NZ. So we are half way there already. All we would need to do is align our immigration policies to prevent back door entry of nationals from third party countries and align our customs and quarantine controls and procedures.