Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2011, 07:01 PM

Domestically speaking that might be the case, but internationally speaking YPAD is a pain in the ****!
Old 28th April 2011, 07:03 PM

Sydney for me... Brisbane a close second...

Sorry, but Adelaide and Melbourne don't impress me (from a spotter's point of view only)...
Old 28th April 2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Coggan View Post
wow guys am I the only one who loves Sydney! we are on the Sydney forum after all!
True Andrew, but sometimes, the monotomy of being here is what makes it 'unattractive... NOT that its NOT a great airport, I just like the access and space around BNE and, for that matter, MEL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
No other airport in the country pays my mortgage quite like Sydney, nor do they offer me such unrestricted access.
Yeah, THAT has to be the BEST reason to love an Australian Airport!!!! on both counts...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 28th April 2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
True Andrew, but sometimes, the monotomy of being here is what makes it 'unattractive... NOT that its NOT a great airport, I just like the access and space around BNE and, for that matter, MEL...
I have only been to BNE once, and I have to admit when I was there I loved it!! also MEL is not to bad either.. been there a couple of times but SYD is my overall favorite in terms of Spotting, Movements and just the general set up. Alot of people say it is set out badly and that the parking is terrible and what not, but I don't have to worry about all that so I guess I don't really see the bad sides of it! After all I do live just 3km away so I can walk, bus or even taxi it there if need be!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 28th April 2011, 08:05 PM

No one's mentioned any regionals yet!

YTEM
Old 28th April 2011, 08:22 PM

Sydney used to be good for photos but it was ruined when they put those horrible little lights up all over the place.The observation deck is good and so is the beach.You will never beat the radar field for photos.
Old 28th April 2011, 09:56 PM
AaronBradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikha Ly View Post
No one's mentioned any regionals yet!

YTEM
I had fun at Caboolture Airport one afternoon while a friend's RS was in for its 3000km. There's a few pictures from there in this set on Flickr.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:02 PM

Australia's answer to St.Maarten but I'm not telling you where it is.
Old 29th April 2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
Domestically speaking that might be the case, but internationally speaking YPAD is a pain in the ****!
Yes, it is. The daily routine is 3 A330-300's from QF, CX and SQ. Sometimes a 738 for PB and an A320 for ANZ. Oh and there is also a 772 from Malaysia Airlines. I still marvel at how they got away with having intergrated terminals. It is great for the spotter and seeing friends off, and is pretty cool how it all works, but i wonder how long it will be able to be like that from a legal/security standpoint. Since the international gates operate as domestic gates when no international flights are there, they simply shut the gates off with large transparent dividers when required for a overseas flight.

Meeting the airport duty manager there on work experience once showed me that having his job would not be easy.

Timing the gates and arrival/departure times for effectively two terminals of aircraft in the one is a balancing act of its own.

Amazing staff there at AAL though.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:53 PM

With my spotters hat on, Sydney wins due to the sheer number and variety of aircraft. Hardly a dull moment. T2 is however the pits, although it's better than either domestic terminal at Melbourne (only just).

Adelaide wins from a passenger perspective for having a great terminal in general, great views, cheap frequent public transport services, and Coopers on tap as soon as you walk through security!

Ben Smith

Flight Memory|Open Flights|Blog