Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What time of the year would you prefer for a Spotting Weekend?
February 2012 15 18.52%
May 2012 42 51.85%
September 2012 17 20.99%
November 2012 7 8.64%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st September 2011, 04:55 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I'm rostered to be working the weekends in May of 2012, but now that some interest has been generated I can tender the organising process back to Amsy.

I'm sure he'll thank me for that.
Eeeik, you go away for a couple of months, and looks what happens, you leave Nigel in charge and he's organising a circus at his own farm. I reckon now that he's started, he can continue to help prepare the weekend, eh! Back to you Nig.....

Well, lots of ideas and lots of interest, with 50% of the 62 voters so far hedging for May 2012, we may just have our date secured!

Just to clarify, we must be very realistic and sensible in deciding when to have such a weekend, and I think there's been some very valid debate that supports having the weekend in May will be most suitable. It also makes logical sense to go with the majority vote, as a Spotting Weekend is only a success when people come and participate. So, if we've already got 30-odd starters, we're in good shape. You've also got plenty of time to prepare

The past 8 Spotting Weekends have all occurred in February. I continually receive feedback from many people with different ideas and reasons why; asking to change the dates to a different part of the year. So that's what we're doing. Let's mix it up. Now, I know we're never going to please everyone with a new date, but we can only try. And hey, if it doesn't work out this time, well, we learn our lesson and can always choose a different month in the future.

Also, as a long time member, and once a schoolboy-plane-spotter myself, let me assure you that no one is trying to push away the new kids or the 'younger generation'. That's not what these weekends are about. I attended my first Spotting Weekend at YSSY almost 12 years ago when I was a younger lad, and since that day I've formed many great life-long friendships. Every time we've held a spotting weekend, we've always encouraged kids and families to come along and join in the fun, participate and meet new people. We've always fostered a friendly and welcoming environment. And if a weekend goes ahead in 2012, it will be no different!

You only get out of it what you put in, so I encourage you to attend. Our online environment at times can be very critical and bitter... Though, outside along the fence-line and along the runways the atmosphere is very different. I challenge you to get away from the online-forum for a weekend, be forthcoming, meet new people, travel to Sydney, get out, enjoy your hobby. You'll be amazed at what you might learn and what new friendships you forge.

Now, it is true what people say, the organising of such a weekend can be quite overwhelming, so again, it really comes down to how much you want to get out of the weekend. I for one prefer simplicity by keeping the weekend pretty stress free, allowing people to do what they like and spot where they like during the day and then meet together for dinner on the Saturday night. This has worked well in the past.

I can easily put the wheels in motion and reach out to the relevant authorities to start the process of creating our 9th Spotting Weekend (with Nigel's help of course ). But for those of you with the more grand ideas, we might be best starting an organising committee where we can round-table what's realistic vs overkill. This will help push the weekend forward and together we can share the workload.

If you'd like to join in, and you think you have a sensible idea, please let me know via personal message. Together, let's bring the 2012 Spotting Weekend alive.
Old 1st September 2011, 05:10 PM

I'm alright for any weekend
If you can, please make them away from my school examination periods so i'm less rushed ect. I don't think i'll be able to attend the dinners though.
I think i'm one of youngest members here If there using 16, i'm guessing there wont be any Qantas drive spotting. Or what about rwy 25.
Old 1st September 2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
If there using 16, i'm guessing there wont be any Qantas drive spotting
Hi Brad,
just curious to why you think there will be no Qantas Drive spotting?
I cannot see any other posts suggesting this.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:01 PM

The dog park is really only good for 34L departures Chris. The row of trees along the bottom of the hill are growing like wildfire & are now obstructing any decent views of 16R arrivals especially of Qantas Drive.
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden Laing View Post
The dog park is really only good for 34L departures Chris. The row of trees along the bottom of the hill are growing like wildfire & are now obstructing any decent views of 16R arrivals especially of Qantas Drive.
Horrible Casurina's they are too!! AND, they (most like a lot of other plants) detest Glyphosate... not that I would condone the use of it

But yes, the dog park is a great site of an afternoon, and with the golf driving range there, toilets and refreshments can be found. Its also good to take a fold out chair as well... Most of the people up there are OK with 'spotters' being in there, but there are some that take exception to being in a 'DOG PARK' that is a leash free area as well. So, if the dogs a male, WATCH YOUR GEAR!!!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 3rd September 2011, 05:12 PM

Bring Macc along to chase them away Bernie
Old 4th September 2011, 01:54 PM

Hey shayne.
Qantas drive is never mentioned, out of all the times iv'e been there iv'e only met and seen one spotter, it seems no one go's there, is this because of parking?
It's a pretty long walk to Qantas drive from any source of parking really, IMO it's one of the most isolated spots in public transport prospective.
Old 4th September 2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Varney View Post
IMO it's one of the most isolated spots in public transport prospective.
There is a bus stop about 200m away from the billboard area. The bus that stops there is the 400 so it means that you can connect to both the east and west sides of the airport. Not to mention that the International Terminal is only a 10 minute walk away where there are taxis and another route 400 bus stop.

So I'm not really sure what you mean about public transport issues there Brad? I mean, I am able to get buses there and on several occasions I have walked there from the domestic Terminal and Mascot.

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 4th September 2011, 03:20 PM

Yep, I second that, it's pretty easy to get to if you ask me, the mound would be the hardest to get to IMO from a public transport point of view, just use the State Transit sight to give you options on getting there.

Last edited by James S.; 4th September 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote.
Old 4th September 2011, 08:17 PM

At the mound I get the long term car park bus, there more frequent then the 400 bus.
it seems such a long walk from QF drive to that bus stop.